JBLM Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgreenside

Reaction score
Anyone going to this? I'll be there, just want to know if anyone else from the forums entered.

Someday I will get a win but until then it's back to the drawing board for my milk stout. I knew my friends were lying to me all along :)

Someday I will get a win but until then it's back to the drawing board for my milk stout. I knew my friends were lying to me all along :)

I don't know about that, I thought my milk stout was a sure winner, and thought it was foolish to enter my other two because I didn't think they'd stand a chance, yet those are the two that won. I think best in show was a stout, so there were some good ones, I wouldn't be too disappointed!

Edit: I was wrong, BiS was a Barleywine, 3rd BiS was the stout.

I'm just getting ready to brew a milk stout. I won a silver for my Foreign Export Stout, and a gold for my Rye IPA. I put in a Scottish 70/- but not only did it not place, but it isn't even showing on my entries. I'll wait for the notes to see what happened...

I'm just getting ready to brew a milk stout. I won a silver for my Foreign Export Stout, and a gold for my Rye IPA. I put in a Scottish 70/- but not only did it not place, but it isn't even showing on my entries. I'll wait for the notes to see what happened...

Nice, congrats! I'm looking forward to the notes as well, I'd love to see where I went wrong with my stout!

On a side note, do you know why in the German Wheat and Rye's and Sours Category there was only a 2nd place finisher? The German wheat category had 3 entries, I'm assuming maybe the other two were DQ'd or ??? , but with the sours category only one guy entered and he got 2nd...Do they not give gold if you don't get a high enough score?

New to competitions, so I'm not sure if there's a minimum score requirement or not.

Got my score sheets today and overall for me anyway not bad. 37/50 and 35/50 This is only my second time doing a competition and considering my first time around I got a high score of 23 for a first time hefeweizen this is a step in the right direction. No medal but i'm happy my milk stout scored a very good. Keeping positive and will enter again for sure.

Got my score sheets today and overall for me anyway not bad. 37/50 and 35/50 This is only my second time doing a competition and considering my first time around I got a high score of 23 for a first time hefeweizen this is a step in the right direction. No medal but i'm happy my milk stout scored a very good. Keeping positive and will enter again for sure.

Mine are still missing. You're right, those are GREAT scores! Sometimes it's the luck of the placement on the flight, sometimes the Mini Best of Show. Take the feeback and use it if it's helpful. Even better, bring it to the HoPS club meeting on the 8th and I'll taste it! ;)

Mine are still missing. You're right, those are GREAT scores! Sometimes it's the luck of the placement on the flight, sometimes the Mini Best of Show. Take the feeback and use it if it's helpful. Even better, bring it to the HoPS club meeting on the 8th and I'll taste it! ;)

If I don't have to work that morning then I might just show up and bring a few bottles. Get your results yet? Should of been there by now.

Maybe I will come and bring my stout to see what you think. I found out my milk stout and my American stout got mixed up and judged in the wrong category, so I think my milk stout could've done a little better than it was judged had it gone in as a sweet stout lol! My American lager didn't score crazy high, but did well enough for 3rd (31, 36, 33), my Munich I'm pretty proud of though(36, 39, 39) :)
My milk stout (which was judged in the American stout category rather than sweet stout) scored a 27, 26, and a 25, but had notes that it was pleasant but not in style x.x whoops. One comment even mentioned how it had flavors reminiscent of cream or milk...Dangit Lol

Forgot to ask, where do you guys meet?

We meet at MASH in North Tacoma, 4:30 to 6:30. I'm going to bring my my Rye IPA and my Export Stout. I haven't found out what happened with my Scottish yet, sounds like there may have been a couple mix-ups.

I once had a smoked porter get put in as an IPA. Didn't score too well... :cross:

Second Saturday every month, from 4:30 to 6:30. Rick Davidson, who won 3rd BOS for his Imperial Stout, is a member - I'm hoping he'll bring some!

I missed this thread first time around, do I understand correctly that JBLM had their own homebrew competition? That rocks! I left there 2 years ago (before I started brewing again) and hope to get back there in a few years....

Sounds like a vibrant brewing community in Tacoma! (Not that I'm surprised, mind you....)

Dude! Congrats on winning the wort chiller! Hope you claimed it!

Were you talking to me?

If so, I was never notified I won anything like that :/

I stopped brewing for a while (life got crazy busy) but am starting to get back into it and prep for the next competition and saw this thread...now I'm hoping I didn't miss out on something D:

Were you talking to me?

If so, I was never notified I won anything like that :/

I stopped brewing for a while (life got crazy busy) but am starting to get back into it and prep for the next competition and saw this thread...now I'm hoping I didn't miss out on something D:

Actually, it was Loodachris who won, last June! Welcome back, and you only missed out on 6 months of brewing! ;)

I did win a claimed it. What a beast of a chiller and works out great for my friend who was chilling in ice baths. I already have a plate chiller and works out great with my setup so I just gave it to him. Very well made.

I did win a claimed it. What a beast of a chiller and works out great for my friend who was chilling in ice baths. I already have a plate chiller and works out great with my setup so I just gave it to him. Very well made.

Congrats! (Sorry a little late!)

And thank you for the welcome back.

Already well back under way with an Amber ale in the books (and a huge hit at my Seahawk's playoff party Saturday!) as well as my 3rd place lager from last year that is almost ready for lagering.

Need to get one more going, I'm hoping I can finish it in time before the competition.

Also working on a new fermentation chamber that is nearly complete, just need to get some weather stripping to lock down some of the gaps in the door :D

Back