Last few qiestions before I start my RIMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
I'm on to what I believe are my last questions. Once they are answered, I'm going to post my electrical diagram, and physical set up to make sure there is no electrical concerns, and that everything is done properly. Here we go:

1.What wire gauge are people using for their 120V 15A setup? When I looked it up, no wire above 14 gauge should be used, as 16 gauge wire is rated for 13A and 14 gauge is rated for 17A. However, I doubt people are using anything below 16 gauge for their wiring, as this would be very difficult and space consuming. Can someone reassure me that I can use 16 Gauge for the power cables and control box wiring?

2. If something other than a device (such as dual row barrier strips or power coords) are rated at 20A and 330V, there will be no problem running 120V 15A through it, right? Will there be any difference in performance (more resistance?)

3. The only cover for the gang boxes at Home Depot in Canada are steel plates. If I use this, and have in contact with the threads on the element, can I connect my ground to this plate?

4. Is a thermowell necessary? I am thinking about using an RTD with a QD Which is attached to a 1/2NTP thread, so the sensor can be easily detached and cleaned. Should I still get a thermowell?

Thanks for your help everyone!
Jay

Back