Cleaning lines - taps in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Couldn't I just put some cleaner in a keg, pressure up, and "dispense" the cleaner through the taps ?
Then run warm or hot clean water to flush the lines ?
I've seen some really expensive cleaning kits. Are these necessary ?

That's how I do it, put it in a keg and run it through. I'd run some through, let it soak, run more through, let that soak, then flush it.

mward said:
That's how I do it, put it in a keg and run it through. I'd run some through, let it soak, run more through, let that soak, then flush it.

OK Thanks. Letting soak then running through will "scrub" inside of tubing. Good advice.

How often do you do this ?

I do the same thing. I have clear serving lines so I do it when they start to look a little dingy

I do the same and use B*L*C (Beer*Line*Cleaner), which is made by National Chemical.

I run hot tap water through them using the keg idea, then I run BLC through them, let them sit for 10 minutes, then run some more. I then rehook my hot water keg up for a rinse. Works great.

Star san won't clean, it just keeps them from getting nasty. I keep star san in my lines when I'm not actively pulling a pint (keg full of star san on hand all the time). My lines are clear and I notice after 3 or 4 kegs they start looking a little yellowish so I run some BLC through them. The difference is instantaneous. 2 flushes and they're like new. Star san has not clouded my lines either, as some claim it will.

Back