Overcarbonization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinrmclean

Reaction score
:confused: Just cracked open an IPA. Last week, it was flat. This week. Gusher!! Also what I could manage to get into a glass was very sweet. Primed with honey. The brew almost had a honey taste to it. Will open another in a bit and see what I get. Any suggestions would be great.:confused:

I used 1/2 c. of honey to a five gallon batch. Put it into my bottling bucket and bottled as normal. It has been extremely hot here, but the house has not been any hotter than about 78.

I poured at about 45. I did a quick chilling the freezer. Could this be a problem?

I opened a second, and it was close to perfect. Al itlltle more head would have been nice, but am a little nervous about keeping the bottles too warm. I am thinking about transferring them all to cold storage to stop the carbonization.

I've got another chilling now and will post results later.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Kevin
Tidewater Brewing

There could be some inconsistency in your carbonation levels in each bottle.

Sounds like it's time to get those bottles to a cooler location, if not chill them completely. 78 is pretty warm and will really foster a lot of carbonation.

If it were me, I'd put them all in the fridge.

When carbing with honey, you've got to water it down first so that it mixes better.

And you've got to be aware that the sugar content will vary a bit and you just have to deal with it.

I wouldn't carb highly carbonated beers with honey because there is the risk you will go too far. For a British style though, you should be fine. Again though, for all I know you dumped some honey in the bottom of the bottling bucket and expected it to mix...

Thanks for the info. I will transfer them to the fridge tonight. I am lucky enough to have a fridge that was not sealing well from work. They bought a new one and the old became a Homebrew fridge. Simple hasp and a lock seals her tight!!:ban:

Next into the fermenter will be a heffe. Being summer on the GA coast it will be hot for a while longer. Should I wait til cooler temps or keep on brewing in the warm house?

kevinrmclean said:
Thanks for the info. I will transfer them to the fridge tonight. I am lucky enough to have a fridge that was not sealing well from work. They bought a new one and the old became a Homebrew fridge. Simple hasp and a lock seals her tight!!:ban:

Next into the fermenter will be a heffe. Being summer on the GA coast it will be hot for a while longer. Should I wait til cooler temps or keep on brewing in the warm house?

If brewing in hot temps, either do a Belgian which can handle it... or else select a Hefe strain which is renowned for giving more clove. That will at least help balance it. I can say from experience that WLP300 (the standard and much-loved Hefe-strain) is a freakin banana-split about 72 degrees or so...

So, I let them set for a little longer, and success!!! The carbonization is great and flavor is very good. Not sure af the actual alcohol content, but it seems very high.:drunk: Actually get a slight buzz from a 12 ouncer!:mug:

Thanks for all the info and help. This is a great forum of good people. :D

Fair Wiinds.

Cheers,
Kevin

Back