What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mb2658 said:
Come to think of it, the last beer that I had that I couldn't finish was the Potts Black IPA at CB Potts. It tasted like someone started a tire fire and tried to put it out with Pine Sol.

Sounds like they overdid it with the roasted malts and used Chinook hops. I've come to hate those. So harsh and raspy.

Mercenary Double IPA from Odell brewing, Turned me off from ever liking an IPA again. Felt like hop flavored battery acid in my mouth. Would rather boil and eat my shoes than to let that stuff hold my mouth hostage again. I did find out my cats are extra clingy though if you spill some on your jeans. Maybe not so good if your walking around mountain lion territory.

Wow. That is one of the greatest DIPA's out there, IMO. So interesting how many different opinions there are out there.

but Southern Tier? Pumking, Choklat, Creme Brulee they make some fantastic beers.

I found Pumpking un-drinkable. It was so sticky sweet with a fake vanilla flavor. Tasted like the marshmellows in lucky charms or something. Over-spiced, over-vanilla'd mess.

Creme brulee was palatable but far from great. After trying those two, I haven't wanted to try anything else from them.

I was just in Chicago the other day and tried goose islands Green Line, I think, whichever one is the pale ale. I really liked it.

I will say I DID have some great Goose Island Beer... I think one was Bonnie and Clyde:? or something like that... it was great as was the other one... but the 312 gag!

Hmm, I've had the 312 Urban Wheat and thought it was okay. Nothing really stood out with that one, more of a easy drinking wheat for my wife. I remember some citrus/lemon flavor and that was about it. Did you somehow get a spoiled bottle?

I like their Honkers Ale quite a bit for what it is. Their IPA is not top of the line, but pretty good.

Hmm, I've had the 312 Urban Wheat and thought it was okay. Nothing really stood out with that one, more of a easy drinking wheat for my wife. I remember some citrus/lemon flavor and that was about it. Did you somehow get a spoiled bottle?

I like their Honkers Ale quite a bit for what it is. Their IPA is not top of the line, but pretty good.

I thought we were talking about craft beer? Not sure why people are mentioning Leinenkugel's either.

I thought we were talking about craft beer? Not sure why people are mentioning Leinenkugel's either.

Since when is Goose Island not craft? Just because they were bought doesn't change their beer... They've been consistent before and after the purchase.

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale is one of my favorite seasonals of all time. I though that I would save a couple of bottles of it for a year and try next to the fresh ones this year. It is 8 percent so I thought it would age well..... I had to pour it out. The pumpkin flavor was gone and what was left was not drinkable.

The thing is, I think I will do it again this year because it could have very well just gotten too hot or something like that. I really just let it sit in my closet for a year. Now that I am homebrewing I am making sure I have specific temperatures and what not.

Great beer fresh though!

So the equipment and location are the criteria that make something "craft" or not?

Odd.

Don't be obtuse. You might have a point if Goose Island had direct control over these beers and were still brewing them at their own brewery, but when A) A company is bought by the largest beer company in the world and B) their beer becomes a brand name tacked on to a beverage that is no longer brewed by them or at their brewery, then hell no it's not craft.

What do you think "craft" means anyway? "Beer I like" is not automatically "craft beer".

Don't be obtuse. You might have a point if Goose Island had direct control over these beers and were still brewing them at their own brewery, but when A) A company is bought by the largest beer company in the world and B) their beer becomes a brand name tacked on to a beverage that is no longer brewed by them or at their brewery, then hell no it's not craft.

What do you think "craft" means anyway? "Beer I like" is not automatically "craft beer".

Same process, same recipe, same results and quality. The beer itself is still a craft beer in my opinion. Didn't mean to get you riled up about it. If your definition is, "beer brewed by a medium to small sized brewery" then you have to define "medium" and "small." I think you'll find you alienate a ton of brews that are craft but have ramped up production to meet demands while remaining high-quality.

There's a difference between being a snob and appreciative of good beer. I believe you just stepped over it. Relax Francis. People like what they like and what is considered as craft to some may not be to others. I believe you're the one being obtuse.

JordanThomas said:
Same process, same recipe, same results and quality. The beer itself is still a craft beer in my opinion. Didn't mean to get you riled up about it. If your definition is, "beer brewed by a medium to small sized brewery" then you have to define "medium" and "small." I think you'll find you alienate a ton of brews that are craft but have ramped up production to meet demands while remaining high-quality.

Don't be a troll. There is a definition for what is "craft", and anything owned by InBev is categorically disqualified.

In the US, the American Brewers Association provides the definition for a "craft brewery" as "small, independent and traditional", and gives a production size of less than 6,000,000 US beer barrels (700,000,000 L) a year (a barrel is 31 US gallons (26 imp gal; 117 L)). A craft brewery can not be more than 24% owned by another alcoholic beverage company that is not itself a craft brewery.

It may be owned by a macro, but I don't consider the beer itself to be a macro. If that were the case, it would be readily available anywhere. It's not available down here.

If your definition is, "beer brewed by a medium to small sized brewery" then you have to define "medium" and "small."

Fortunately, that has been done already by the groups that define these things in this country: the US Government and the Brewer's Association.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined

Drink it if you like it. It won't bother me when we finally get distribution of BCBS down here, and I like English ales, so I'll definitely give Honker's a shot.

There's a difference between being a snob and appreciative of good beer. I believe you just stepped over it. Relax Francis. People like what they like and what is considered as craft to some may not be to others. I believe you're the one being obtuse.

Princess, I never said a single word about how good of a beer they make.

So, for me, I tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale So QUOTE]
t
Yea I,ve seen that one too. Just the name made me not even want to try it. I like bacon, love real maple syrup. But Bacon in beer does not sound good. A maple beer, no that might be tasty.

Try a Rauchbier sometime. I dig 'em, but only once in a while. Sam Adam's Cinder Bock is a little easier, IMO, on an American palate than the German beers. But the best one I can remember having is Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen.

Don't be a troll. There is a definition for what is "craft", and anything owned by InBev is categorically disqualified.

Since when is the ABA the Merriam-Webster of beer terminology? I wasn't being a troll. I was contesting his point. This is just snobbery though. The brewery started out as craft, but now it's owned by AB-InBev. Do the beers produced at the Chicago-based location still get called craft?

Fortunately, that has been done already by the groups that define these things in this country: the US Government and the Brewer's Association.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined

Drink it if you like it. It won't bother me when we finally get distribution of BCBS down here, and I like English ales, so I'll definitely give Honker's a shot.

I'd like to see where the US Government defines "craft beer," or "craft brewery." As far as I know, the ABA isn't a government entity.

Micro, sure. Brewpub, sure. Craft, where?

Do the beers produced at the Chicago-based location still get called craft?

Nope. Again, you seem to equate "craft" with "stuff I like to drink". That's fine, as "craft" as pertains to beer is a pretty arbitrary term to begin with. However, it's a commonly used phrase with a commonly understood meaning, that GI's stuff, no matter which brewery it's brewed at, doesn't qualify for.

I'd like to see where the US Government defines "craft beer," or "craft brewery." As far as I know, the ABA isn't a government entity.

Micro, sure. Brewpub, sure. Craft, where?

The US Gov doesn't define micro either. They do, however, define Small Brewers. AB InBev and their wholly owned brands, like Goose Island, whose workforce are all AB InBev employees, do not qualify.

JordanThomas said:
I wasn't being a troll.

You're being needlessly argumentative, to the appearance of solely for arguments sake. You just did the same thing about the candi syrup. It really isn't worth getting so worked up about these things, and it especially isn't worth making a scene on an Internet forum. If you think something is craft, then it's craft. If you like your homemade candi syrup, great. More power to you. Cheers!

However, it's a commonly used phrase with a commonly understood meaning, that GI's stuff, no matter which brewery it's brewed at, doesn't qualify for.

The US Gov doesn't define micro either. They do, however, define Small Brewers. AB InBev and their wholly owned brands, like Goose Island, whose workforce are all AB InBev employees, do not qualify.

actually, goose island's brewpubs are still wholly owned by goose island chicago...they are still brewing in the brewpubs

not that it would fall under the 'craft' designation, necessarily, but their barrel/sour program is still under control of GI's fulton st brewery in chicago...those are some beers AB would never be able to reproduce!

oh, and enough off topic...worst i've had in recent memory is post road pumpkin ale...watery and pretty tasteless for a pumpkin.

and never been fond of english base malts...maybe it's just me, but i get a strong metallic taste from them.

I have to admit I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen this one mentioned. Anything and everything from Highland Brewing in Asheville, NC. I've never had anything good from them. There is a special place in the hate center of my brain for their Kashmir IPA. I don't know where they get off calling that beer an IPA. I've had it in the bottle and out of a tap. No hop character at all, barely any bitterness. Just terrible.

I don't recall ever drinking a good pumpkin beer. I've had a few different ones when I lived up in Michigan, but I can't remember any of their names. They would taste great for the first sip or 2, but then the taste either becomes overpowering for my liking or too sweet. Maybe I just haven't tried the right one yet...

Apple_Jacker said:
I don't recall ever drinking a good pumpkin beer. I've had a few different ones when I lived up in Michigan, but I can't remember any of their names. They would taste great for the first sip or 2, but then the taste either becomes overpowering for my liking or too sweet. Maybe I just haven't tried the right one yet...

You might just not like them.. I know I don't. I've really tried, and I just don't dig either the pumpkin or those spices in a beer. Which is weird, because I love pumpkin pie.

LoneWolfPR said:
I like pumpkin beers that are bigger on the pumpkin and much lighter on the pumpkin spice.

Try uintas next year! May be some around still, but doubt it

So, for me, I tried Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale tonight and it is an absolutely atrocious beer. I love bacon. I love maple syrup. But together in this beer...oh dear lord.

So, what say you?

I have to say that I have been skeptical about giving this brew a try. Good to know that my money is probably best spent on something else. On another hand, the inspiration for this beer came from Voodoo Doughnut's "Bacon Maple Bar." It was a delicious donut, bacon and maple certainly can live in harmony.

As for the worst brew I have tried, I'd have to say it was a Belgian Wit from Bend Brewing Co. Honestly though many of there beers are quite tasty.

I had the "pleasure" of sampling Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon beer... It is disgusting. Without the bacon, it'd probably be pretty tasty.

JordanThomas said:
I had the "pleasure" of sampling Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon beer... It is disgusting. Without the bacon, it'd probably be pretty tasty.

I had a hard time pulling out much bacon. It was their mouth numbing home smoked hickory malt that was killing me..

Green's gluten-free beer from Belgium. I usually love Belgian beers so I was expecting to like it.

I've never had the Voodoo Donut beer, so I can't comment on it, but it sounds like it's the winner.

Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, from over 300 different beers tried in the past 2 years I there's one that comes to mind immediately.

I'm not sure if it was a bad batch of it, but I've had what I think is the Solstice d'été aux framboises at the Dieu du Ciel brewpub and I couldn't finish it. I've heard great things about it and I'm looking forward to try it again, but it was like drinking vinegar. It wasn't sour, it was freaking vinegary.

There's also this micro calles Dunham here in Québec that makes some of the most awful beers. They always seem to be off in the styles. I don't know a single person who loved their beers.

As for the person who said La Terrible from Unibroue, you must've had a spoiled bottle of it or something because it's quite an awesome beer.

Back