Bought a mini wooden keg, not sure how to use :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlamb2

Reaction score
I'm an avid Googler, but this one has stumped me. I was at an antique store this past weekend and found a great little wooden keg set. The owner said that she bought it in the Dominican Republic back in 1965 and was told that it was handmade (not sure how authentic that is, but I like a good story).

Anyhow, I added some photo's, and want to know what you all think. I believe I can seal up the two halves, then find a rubber/cork plug to cap it off after filling it with a funnel. I think if I fill it up just before completing Primary it will build up enough natural carbonation, and I can serve it at room temperature (I want to leave it on my book shelf and just have a mini cup here and there). Also thinking of doing a simple New England brown ale recipe.

Link to the images: http://imgur.com/a/3cTpK#0

So the questions I'm trying to answer:

1. what would you do to prep this for use? (sealing, cleaning, reusing, etc)
2. Any way to find out what kind of wood this is?

Thanks for all your help!
Russ (@russ152)

To me it looks strictly decorative and doesn't look like it could or should be altered to hold beer or any other liquid.

OMO

bosco

looks like a novelty bar room rum dispenser. you would likely have a hard time pressurizing it unless you really glue that baby shut, but then who knows what would be leaching into the beer. Personally I wouldn't use it, but hey, glue it together and see if it at least holds water...

here is a ceramic version, they have these on craigslist a lot in my area

RLM000576.1L.jpg

I would also be wary of the metal used to make the spigot.. Cheap castings could very well contain lead.

bosco

Back