Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll, this home brewing forum I frequent went in about beaver anus and dogs for three pages once.

I told my local high end bottle shop guy I was home brewing and he told me I'd be back in soon. Of course I will, I can't brew worth a damn yet.

Sorry to bring this back to the topic, but...
Was at a wine tasting room yesterday, we were the only ones there for 45 minutes, so we had the sommelier to ourselves for the whole time, and we were bending each other's ears about many things fermented. Anyway, at one point our host says to us, as if he could not even imagine such a thing, "Do you know the big brewers put CORN in their beers?" That led to a diversion in the conversation as to why one might WANT corn or rice in their beer...

On Christmas eve we had a few drinks and a family member's pad. I was drinking Lagunita Sucks (good stuff) everyone else was drinking Labatt Blue or Wine. The host had a fridge full of assorted Sam Adams.
These are random things that were said:

regarding my homemade wine "I really cant drink wine because I am Allergic to Lots of Sugar, sulfates and the process of yeast, but I still try to have a glass every so often"

" I like craft beer Trader joes makes a good craft brew, 9% ABV and it is only $5, it is as good as craft brew"

"trader Joe's sells a great hard cider from France for $5"
"yes because France if world renowned for their apples!"-Me

"Something taste wrong with this Beer (Sam Adams Boston lager), I will just stick with my Labatt Blue!"

Trying the Lagunitas "it has a lot of flavor but it is too strong, I will stick with my Manhattan"

:tank:

On Christmas eve we had a few drinks and a family member's pad. I was drinking Lagunita Sucks (good stuff) everyone else was drinking Labatt Blue or Wine. The host had a fridge full of assorted Sam Adams.
These are random things that were said:

regarding my homemade wine "I really cant drink wine because I am Allergic to Lots of Sugar, sulfates and the process of yeast, but I still try to have a glass every so often"

" I like craft beer Trader joes makes a good craft brew, 9% ABV and it is only $5, it is as good as craft brew"

"trader Joe's sells a great hard cider from France for $5"
"yes because France if world renowned for their apples!"-Me

"Something taste wrong with this Beer (Sam Adams Boston lager), I will just stick with my Labatt Blue!"

Trying the Lagunitas "it has a lot of flavor but it is too strong, I will stick with my Manhattan"

:tank:

Wow, this sounded a lot like my in-laws...

As a frequent Trader Joe's customer, I know those beverages they were talking about. The $5, 9% ABV beer is a holiday spiced ale that Unibroue makes for them. It's sometimes OK. Better with a year in the cellar. I just had the French cider and thought it was good, though very mild in flavor.
If they see TJ's as the shining beacon of craft beer... that IS funny.

Wow, this sounded a lot like my in-laws...

As a frequent Trader Joe's customer, I know those beverages they were talking about. The $5, 9% ABV beer is a holiday spiced ale that Unibroue makes for them. It's sometimes OK. Better with a year in the cellar. I just had the French cider and thought it was good, though very mild in flavor.
If they see TJ's as the shining beacon of craft beer... that IS funny.

The $5, 9% ABV beer? I took a bottle of that home this year... the "2013 Vintage" Dark Ale they bought me last year and as suggested, cellared it for the year. Nobody wanted it. They finished off my IPA instead :cross:

No idea if you were being sarcastic but the french are known for their cider apples, they are bad for eating but great for making cider. I just tried that trader joes cider, pretty good for the price imo. I thought i would just add that because i found it interesting they grow specific apples only for fermentation.

No idea if you were being sarcastic but the french are known for their cider apples, they are bad for eating but great for making cider. I just tried that trader joes cider, pretty good for the price imo. I thought i would just add that because i found it interesting they grow specific apples only for fermentation.

I actually had no idea the french were known for their apples and cider.
I was being sarcastic, but it was because to me the first thing I think of associated with the French (after fries, kissing & toast) is wine IE: Grapes!

But the Cider is in my fridge and I will give it a go!

I was being sarcastic, but it was because to me the first thing I think of associated with the French (after fries, kissing & toast) is wine IE: Grapes!

Normandy in particular is very famous for cider. Unfortunately real cider (good cider) probably isn't as popular or well known. Most people are probably more familiar with larger commercial brands like Hornsby's or Woodchuck.

A conversation I overheard at 14th Star Brewing in St. Albans, VT. "We don't fill growlers with out DIPA, only pill bottles because it oxidizes too quickly." "But I'm going to drink the whole thing with a friend as soon as I leave here." "It doesn't matter, it will oxidize almost immediately and be no good to drink."

Lmao!!!! I feel you..I just sit back and laugh..take for instance..my pliney clone will be ready just in time for the super bowl..I hit dry hop round 2 in two more days which means bottling in one week...now my family will be drinking bud light with lime like its going out of style..that and pissing all night..while im hammered on two of those 8.3% bombers..lmao! ! I am gonna bring a few bottles for tasters for people..but brew buddy has it at over 200 ibu..time for bitter beer face cam.

Two things I wanted to get out in the light of day that I've been unsettled for many years as a result of.

First was back when I was in high school, when I was about 15. There was a group of 'cool kids' who had obviously started drinking beer and claimed to be experts about it. I, on the other hand, was more stealthy in my appreciation for alcoholic beverages. In English, we had to write a short story and I wrote mine about an Australian guy who was rather fond of XXXX. I forget the details, but I very clearly recall using the phrase "he reached for his favourite XXXX Lager", to which one of the 'cool kids' promptly turned knowingly to me and said, somewhat patronisingly "Ummmm. four X isn't a lager". Funny... Everything I saw here says that the only varieties of mainstream XXXX are lagers. It's a double wrong, however, because I wrote it out of pure naivety having absolutely no idea what distinguished a lager from an ale. But I find it funny now, thinking of these so-called beer drinkers 'correcting' someone apparently 'less experienced' than they were over something that was actually right all along!

The second one was one night I had dinner with a cable guy, who was telling everyone at the table that he had visited some breweries in NZ and seen the appalling poisons that were added to the beer. Apparently, he saw containers with bold 'poison' or 'hazardous' wording on them, and claimed that they were added to beers, and that the reason people got hangovers from drinking too much beer was because of those substances. It wasn't until I got into brewing and learned about sanitation that I realised those containers probably just contained chemicals that were used to sterilise the brewing equipment before starting another batch. But if the cable guy is to be believed, they are the cause of hangovers.

But if the cable guy is to be believed, they are the cause of hangovers.

0302cableguy.jpg

A few highlights from being home for the holidays:

- I got a few drinks with old friends at a college bar that usually serves BMC, but actually had Ballentine IPA on tap (I almost fainted). Every pour was about half head and took forever to settle down. Bartender "This might take a second. It's an IPA, this style always pour foamy"

- I was told BM's Centennial Blonde was WAAAY too bitter (followed the recipe exactly, no dryhopping to speak of).

- I gave out a 6er last year as a gift to my aunt and found out they went down the drain. According to my uncle "I took a sip, poured it down the drain, and the drain didn't want it so it spit it back up too."

-Bonus: My wife is convinced that the Cottage House Saison (delicious brew) tastes like bacon. No clue where she's getting that.

I was just asked by a coworker to make a bush light clone...because " its great beer"..then dude was totally thrown by the look of disgust on my face..or the comment about me force carbing urine being better

I was just asked by a coworker to make a bush light clone...because " its great beer"..then dude was totally thrown by the look of disgust on my face..or the comment about me force carbing urine being better

I challenge you to find an easier drinking pale lager.

Go on, I'll be waiting with my 30 pack by my side.

Probably the saison's trademark barnyardy thing mixing with the other flavors in the beer the way she tasted them?

Could be.

It's funny, I hand her a drink every now and again and won't tell her what it is in an effort to get a more honest review. She always says it smells like bacon.
Every. Single. Time.

Could be.

It's funny, I hand her a drink every now and again and won't tell her what it is in an effort to get a more honest review. She always says it smells like bacon.
Every. Single. Time.

I've found through judging that phenols are one of the most variably detected beer aroma compounds, maybe behind only diacetyl. Phenols can be perceived as smoky, I think that may be it.

Back