Software to control brewing process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btbonser

Reaction score
I see a lot of threads about people automating their brewing process by building control panels that use switches and temp controllers to turn burners/heating elements on and off, opening valves, monitoring temperatures, etc. Does anyone know of an inexpensive (or free) software that will run on a laptop and do the same thing?

I have searched but couldn't find anything

Thanks

The simplest PC interfaced platform is the BCS460, otherwise it is build your own with LabJack or other IO modules. There are freeware HMI packages out there, but you still need interface hardware to activate devices and collect readings from sensors. If you can program in Java or C# I have a library of automation software graphics and code built for my automated system that would save time and learning curve effort.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I understand the need for hardware to activate devices, collect readings from sensors, etc. What I was looking for is something similar to the software that they use for the BCS-460 Temp Controller but installs locally on a PC. From what I can tell from the BCS website is their software is web based and for the iPhone and such.

I'm not a not a programmer so I am really looking for a Windows app with an installer. Might buy a BCS460 or somenting similar or build my own I/O module, not sure yet.

Hi

The gotcha is that the software really *needs* to know what your hardware looks like. That makes a "no code at all" software package tough to do with an arbitrary batch of hardware. That gets you back to a pre-packaged hardware setup pretty quick.

I'd recommend learning how to do a little code and taking Kladue up on his offer of libraries...

Bob

The simplest PC interfaced platform is the BCS460, otherwise it is build your own with LabJack or other IO modules. There are freeware HMI packages out there, but you still need interface hardware to activate devices and collect readings from sensors. If you can program in Java or C# I have a library of automation software graphics and code built for my automated system that would save time and learning curve effort.

Kladue, would it be possible to get your library of automation software graphics and code? Maybe I can get some of these software engineers that I work with to help me out if I get stuuck.

If you can hang on a bit I am working on a setup with off the shelf parts and an application to make it all work. The goal of the software is a runtime setup of hardware so no coding is needed, just enter names and ranges of sensors, pid, and on-off control settings, and click on buttons to make things happen.
What are you working towards, a typical single tier system, or something a bit more exotic so I can figure out what would be appropriate to send.

I'm in no rush, my local HBS has a complete, all manual, single tier HERMS system for $1500 (Keggels, pumps, valves chiller, etc.) that I am going to get. I am planning on taking this system and automating it as much as the budget (aka wife) will allow.

Say good bye to batch sparging in the Coleman Extreme :)

BCS460 works more like a PLC, you can program it, hit start, and have it run an automated process. The web interface can be used to monitor and control the process on a laptop, ipad, etc. but is not required. Displays and buttons on the control could also be used to control/start/stop the brewing process without a PC connected.

I'm in no rush, my local HBS has a complete, all manual, single tier HERMS system for $1500 (Keggels, pumps, valves chiller, etc.) that I am going to get. I am planning on taking this system and automating it as much as the budget (aka wife) will allow.

Say good bye to batch sparging in the Coleman Extreme :)

Hi

Spend some time understanding and working with the setup before you try to automate it....

Bob

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

Spend some time understanding and working with the setup before you try to automate it....

Bob
Good advice Bob! I brewed my first batch on Saturday and using the new setup left me thinking about many things.

Hi

If you are like most of us around here, a given configuration of "stuff" will last about six months before there's a "need to modify".

Bob

CB,
six months? I havent been able to finish my system without modifying it already.... Seems every time I get close I find a glitch or hang up and when I address that I end up changing a component or sensor to eliminate the stumbling block completely. I think brew controls evolve over time... I would strongly recomend any new brewer building a control system to insure that you build a very robust base system with lots of room for expansion, because inevatably things will get changed, adjusted and improved over time. Mine sure has changed from where I originally started. Just a thought or two from a tinkerer builder.
Wheelchair Bob

So true! I think I spend as much time modifying and building new stuff as I do actually brewing, I'm never satisfied. But that's half the fun!!

You could try a phidget board. It is a simple usb IO system for PC. I have used them in the past with Visual Basic interfaces that work great and simple to do. You can even use a VB set in excel to really ramp up your control options. Much cheaper than a PLC.

Is there a reason why it wouldn't be possible to control an SSR with the control signal through either a parallel or serial interface? Much like CNC systems use the same signals to control a driver board? Use a one wire interface for temperature monitoring and something as simple as a Bash or Perl script to control the temperature.

There has to be a reason it hasn't been done, but I can't think of one. Then again my thinker seems to be working slowly these days.

Is there a reason why it wouldn't be possible to control an SSR with the control signal through either a parallel or serial interface? Much like CNC systems use the same signals to control a driver board? Use a one wire interface for temperature monitoring and something as simple as a Bash or Perl script to control the temperature.

There has to be a reason it hasn't been done, but I can't think of one. Then again my thinker seems to be working slowly these days.

Hi

It's been done many a time.

The gotcha when running high power or fire is a system crash. Making a simple parallel port setup crash proof can be a bit of a pain. It can indeed be done, but it's not as easy as it looks at first.

Bob

Back