Bottle some, add fruit to rest, bottle rest later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italarican

Reaction score
My second batch has been in the primary for 19 days now (a berliner weisse based on the "quick and dirty" berliner method). It hit its FG (1.009) 8 days ago. I'd like to bottle half (2.5 gallons) tomorrow and add blueberries to the other 2.5 gallons for 14 days.

I only have a primary bucket and a bottling bucket, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to add the fruit now and bottle later. For my first batch, I transferred for bottling by first adding my sugar solution to the bottling bucket and then siphoning my beer. I thought I would do the same thing with the blueberries, adding it to the bucket first; however, when it came to adding my sugar solution before bottling, I'd have to either mix it in or siphon back and forth to my priming bucket and then back into the bottling bucket.

Not sure if this got too convoluted or not, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to add the blueberries now and the sugar solution later, keeping in mind I only have 1 primary and 1 bottling bucket?

rack half of your beer into the bottling bucket and add half of the priming sugar solution (about 2oz or so) then mix gently with a sanitized spoon. Then you are free to add fruit to the other half.

rack half of your beer into the bottling bucket and add half of the priming sugar solution (about 2oz or so) then mix gently with a sanitized spoon. Then you are free to add fruit to the other half.

Do you mean to pour the priming solution on top of the already transfered beer and gently stir?

Add the half amount of priming sugar in bottling bucket, and rack half the beer onto it and bottle as normal. Add blueberries to primary bucket that still has half the beer. After aging with the fruit, put remaining priming sugar in bottling bucket and rack the blueberry onto it and bottle.

Add the half amount of priming sugar in bottling bucket, and rack half the beer onto it and bottle as normal. Add blueberries to primary bucket that still has half the beer. After aging with the fruit, put remaining priming sugar in bottling bucket and rack the blueberry onto it and bottle.

In this case, would you gently stir the blueberries into the beer or just add on top?

Back