Propane 'splitters'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a new all grain rig. I will be using 3 burners and would like to run them all off of one propane tank. Where can I find a 3-way propane splitter? Also, is a standard tank of propane able to fire 3 burners on full blast simultaneously? I do not plan to ever have to be using all 3 burners on full blast, but if the need every arises I'd like to know...if not I may consider just buying more propane tanks. I'm using 3 of the big BG14 burners.

IMO trying too run all three BG14 at full will frost a small tank best to get at least a 100lb tank for them or run at least 2 40lb tanks in chain but that is only if running at full for long time most of the time you should be ok with only one.

as far as a splitter you could just run one regulator to a manafold across the rig and tap for each burner with a valve

3 ways are tough to find which is why most people just use black iron pipe to build a rail. Or you could piece together some hoses and fittings and build a flexible one yourself if you want but BIP is cheap, readily available and easy to work with which is why everyone does.

You don't use a splitter if they are all located on the same unit. You use a manifold with independent valves.
The manifold listed above would be more pain than pleasure

IMO trying too run all three BG14 at full will frost a small tank best to get at least a 100lb tank for them or run at least 2 40lb tanks in chain but that is only if running at full for long time most of the time you should be ok with only one.

as far as a splitter you could just run one regulator to a manafold across the rig and tap for each burner with a valve

IMO there's no need to run all three at the same time

From tank through regulator to first burner:
P1040546.jpg

Burner to burner:
P1040544.jpg

Close up:
P1040543.jpg

OneHoppyGuy, thanks for the input! Why do you say the Bayou Classic 3-way would be a pain as compared to the photos posted above? This is probably a stupid question but what is BIP? Finally, it appears all of the photos you posted above use 1 single regulator and then 3 on/off valves at each burner, is that correct? I have 1 40 PSI regulator, so I would need to get some fittings, some gas line and then 3 on/off valves? Are those 3 valves adjustable, or are all 3 burners not independently adjustable and rely on the 1 regulator to adjust all 3 simultaneously?

The Bayou 3-way is expensive, difficult to mount and run lines from. We run from a regulator 20 psi to a manifold. From the manifold each burner is controlled independently via valves. The larger valves do not control the flame near as well as the needle valves that we use now. The purpose of the regulator is to keep the pressure within a safe range for the burners.

Thank you! What kind of needle valves do you use? Or should I just buy a BasAss2 LOL?

I would just like to state that as much as we are in the business of building stands we also understand not everyone can afford them or wants someone else to build one for them.
First and foremost we're home brewers. We learned the same way as most of you so we believe it's only right to pass on what we've learned.

Can your needle valve be "panel" mounted? Thanks...

I suppose. With a little creativity most anything is possible. The needle valve I was referring to is the same style (different handle) as the valves in the photos above. We don't panel mount that style.

Thanks everyone. OneHoppyGuy, I'm going to PM you about some assistance in helping me get the parts together to finish my brewstand.

Another method:
42.jpg

and yet another....
P1000988.jpg
OneHoppyGuy, did you build this, or know where I could get the parts and a breakdown? I just purchased an old Coleman standing range that was missing a bunch of pieces, however the body was in great shape. My idea was to install three propane burners that will go inside the frame and connect to one tank. However I have no idea HOW to do this or where to get parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jen

hi all! Bringing this back out of the dead, I went with the valves4parts solenoids and now I'm wondering what you guys did for pilot lights? Thanks for your help!

You need to tee off somewhere before the solenoid. You may need to run low pressure to the pilots - I'm not 100% sure. I can tell you I attempted to run high pressure with a small ball valve to the pilots on my first stand build and they didn't not work too well. Now that I use the VR8200 controls which provide the pilot gas, I have no issues and very rarely have a pilot blow out.

hi all! Bringing this back out of the dead, I went with the valves4parts solenoids and now I'm wondering what you guys did for pilot lights? Thanks for your help!

I have not yet installed any solenoids. This is an old picture of my stand with the standing pilots installed:

Well, that didn't work. The image is too high a resolution, and I can't seem to change that, at least within the limits of my patience. I also can't just delete this false start.

Well thanks for the attempt!

So, last question. Anyone just light their pilots with a match/lighter/etc when they're starting the brew or does everyone have an ignition system?

Latest posts

Back