Homebrew on an Airplane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruy Lopez

Reaction score
I'm flying up to Long Island to visit my family in a couple of weeks, and I want to bring some homebrew with me. I bottle in 1-liter bottles.

Pre-senseless-liquid-ban, I would just put them in my carry-on. What to do now?

1. Check a 12-bottle box, (the original ez-cap box) well padded.
2. Put a few in my checked luggage.
3. Ship a 12-bottle box.
4. Drink it all before I go. Tell them how good it was.

If you decide to try the luggage route I would call your airline well ahead and ask. Make sure you mention that it is homebrewed and not commercially packaged. You don't want it to get confiscated. Leave yourself time to ship if need be.

Being airline pilot i think i can help you out a little. CHECK IT. CHECK AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. just hope the rampies or i dont find it cause ill confiscate it for myself on an overnight. As long as its not over 50lbs and make sure you pad it. If its over 50lbs you will have to pay an overweight fee. Make sure its padded well cause those apes that load and unload bags dont always treat the bags that well. Make sure and write FRAGILE on the box and it will be fine.

tdavisii said:
Make sure and write FRAGILE on the box and it will be fine.

Having worked on a ramp many years ago, writing "Fragile" on the package is hit or miss. Some guys, you see... well... they view that as an invitation...

For the record, I checked a cardboard box with six, well-wrapped liters. Foam peanuts also. No problems. (The box was opened and inspected, as there was fresh tape on it when I got it back.)

I was going to take 12, but weight was an issue.

Made sure not to write "fragile" on the box, per Toot's advice. ;)

tdavisii said:
Being airline pilot i think i can help you out a little. CHECK IT. CHECK AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. just hope the rampies or i dont find it cause ill confiscate it for myself on an overnight. As long as its not over 50lbs and make sure you pad it. If its over 50lbs you will have to pay an overweight fee. Make sure its padded well cause those apes that load and unload bags dont always treat the bags that well. Make sure and write FRAGILE on the box and it will be fine.

Who do you fly for... out of curiosity.
I'm IFR rated now, working on commercial.

I'm hoping to talk to a cargo guy this week throught SWMBO's work, but maybe we'll get some information in this thread.

What about a Corny?
It's under the weight limit but it looks nebulous.
No way to tell if it's carrying a harmless liquid or jet fuel or some other harmful compound or gas.
Under pressure (albeit low).

I really don't want an unskilled person opening it.

Can you take it somewhere to get it vetted?

I took a few bottles of Barleywine to Mexico in my checked luggage. The airline just said to make sure that it was labled with what was inside. I put some classy duct tape labels on em. :D

If you look at airline's website they clearly lay out their alcohol policy. There are volume limitations and they have to be sealed and labeled.

Shipping beer via USPS is not a good idea, against their policy. Shipping homebrew from yourself to yourself via UPS may or may not be legal (depends on the state, etc.).

Back