Just cracked open a bottle from first brew...thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoBrewMeister

Reaction score
I just cracked open a bottle from my first brew, an abbey ale that has been sitting in bottles for 6 days...

Initial thoughts:

It definitely tastes like beer. It has strong flavor.
It is very strong tasting. I'm not sure why.
It doesn't have any bubbles shooting up from the bottom of the glass.
There is not a TON of carbonation. I assume I just need to wait longer for this.

Overall, I'd say it's probably still several days away from being "good".

Some questions:

How long will it take for there to be a good amount of carbonation?
How long will it continue to get better sitting in bottles in a cool, dark room?

How long will it take for the beer to be at it's peak in terms of taste, flavor, aroma, and carbonation?

leave them for at least 3 weeks at 70 degrees and you will be happy. patience is key. make another batch pronto

I wouldn't worry too much about the strong flavor. Beer has a way of changing taste once it's properly carbed and conditioned.

I just poured a beer that was bottled on 9-19. Apparently I bottled two batches that day, because the cap says 9-19 / 1. To be honest, I am not sure if it was bottled on 9-19-10 or 9-19-09. Probably '09, since I took it out of the bottom box.

Whenever it was bottled, it was just left over that would not fit in the keg. The carbonation is so heavy on the side of the glass that it looks like it is in a frosted mug. It is incredibly clear and a gorgeous red color. The hops presence is still there, but the bite is gone.

Very enjoyable. So... a year or so, or two, and its still good. I can't tell the exact peak. I guess it depends on the style.

Back