Citrus/Tropical IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturb

Reaction score
I have done a couple IPAs recently that have been so-so. My favorite kind of IPAs have the citrus/tropical almost juicy flavor to them. I know there is a recipe section and I also did a search and did not come up with a whole lot. I was looking for some input or maybe your favorite IPA recipes with this flavor profile.

Thanks in advance!!!

I made a double ipa and used amarillo, simcoe, and citra for late addition hops and a dry hop blend. Very citrusy and tropical. The citra @ 5 min and dry hop is almost mango like.
I also made an all summit ipa that was a tangerine bomb of awesome.
And there's always cascade.

Mike

+1 on Amarillo and Citra combo.

BTW, use Citra sparingly!

I agree. I did an all-citra beer. It defnitely screamed MANGO and tropical fruit. It wasn't my thing- tasted like Juicy Fruit gum- but when used as a aroma/flavor hop along with amarillo or cascade, it's very nice.

I've been planning a tropical fruit bomb IPA and I'll be using a blend of Amarillo, citra, and Nelson sauvin. Amarillos aren't as unique as they used to be when they gave off big stonefruit notes (just differences crop to crop) but they can still lend some interesting flavors. Citra has given me some passionfruit/mango flavors. Nelsons are just like the name says...sauvignon blanc-like. Grape/berries/citrus/tropical fruits.

I did a heavily hopped IPA with Citra. I split the late additions with cascade due to naysayers on here about using a lot of citra. I am waiting on some fermentor space to do up another citra hopped IPA. I'll be bittering with something other than citra, maybe nugget, then LOADS of citra in late boil/dry hop.

posted:1-01-2010

SG1.065
60 IBU
MO,Crystal

Simcoe,Amarillo,Citra = FWH

Amarillo,Citra = 7min

Citra,Amarillo = 2 min

Citra,Amarillo,Simcoe = Dry Hop

Another batch:
A old post of mine:

This was a great use of Citra hops aroma!

Citra apa

28g. Simcoe 15 min.
28g. Amarillo 7 min.
85g. citra 2 min.

kegged 3-21-10 with 85g Citra

I find the citra to have a lingering bite, hopheads may like it but I'll never do a all citra beer, nope

I'll try to find this thread and repost my results in a couple more weeks.

I just bottled a pale ale that had 1/2 oz of Amarillo at 10 mins and 1/2 oz of Citra at flameout. I then dry hopped an ounce of Amarillo and 1/2 of citra.

My FG reading sample was by far the most citrusy beer I have had to date!

I'll try to find this thread and repost my results in a couple more weeks.

I just bottled a pale ale that had 1/2 oz of Amarillo at 10 mins and 1/2 oz of Citra at flameout. I then dry hopped an ounce of Amarillo and 1/2 of citra.

My FG reading sample was by far the most citrusy beer I have had to date!

Let me know how it comes out. I am not planning on brewing for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two. I am in the middle of a really tough quarter of school and have beers to hold me over.

I did a heavily hopped IPA with Citra. I split the late additions with cascade due to naysayers on here about using a lot of citra. I am waiting on some fermentor space to do up another citra hopped IPA. I'll be bittering with something other than citra, maybe nugget, then LOADS of citra in late boil/dry hop.
I have done this. Love love love citra ;). Use something else for bittering and use tOns of citra form 15 on.

Let me know how it comes out. I am not planning on brewing for a few weeks, maybe even a month or two. I am in the middle of a really tough quarter of school and have beers to hold me over.

Im hoping to brew up my tropical IPA in later this week...heres my recipe

6lbs 2-row
5lbs Maris Otter
.5lb melanoidin
.5lb carapils

1oz Amarillo FWH
.25oz citra 60min
.5oz each nelson sauvin and amarillo 30min
1oz amarillo KO
1.5oz Nelson sauvin KO
1.5oz Citra KO

Dry hop with same amounts as KO additions