honey wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbqck

Reaction score
I made a batch of honey wheat beer with wheat extract, now that it has been in the carboy, for the second racking for a few days, it seems to be separating.
About 2inchs of dark brown on the top,then about 8 inches of medium brown,then the bottom is a light brown. Is this normal for a honey wheat beer? Thanks

sounds to me like it is clearing - the yeast dropping out to the bottom so the top appears darker -as less yeast to reflect the light.
it should become uniform in the next 2 weeks

I'm curious if this has cleared up yet. How did it go? Did you keg it yet? Would you mind posting the recipe? I'd like to give a honey wheat a try.

I make a lot of Hefe Weizen. I really don't care that much for a honey drink unless it's mead, but I've done A LOT of research (read: drinking) on honey brews.

My take on it is that the honey should be used for priming. Reason: the honey flavor is just fermented out.

What's your take on it...as well as your recipe (as previously asked)...I'm not sotally titfaced...:drunk:

If all honey ferments out then mead would taste like alcoholic water. I mean, I know what you're saying, the residual honey flavor is minimal.

My honey wheat was 6lbs Munton's Wheat DME, a pound of honey, 1oz cascade and some tangerine peel in the primary. Danstar windsor to leave a little sweetness. It was delicious. Fastest two cases to move since I started brewing.

Fire_travels said:
was that a NB honey Weizen? Pritty Fruity when it was done?

I have the NB H.W. in the secondary and ready to bottle tomarrow

nah, threw together a recipe and it tasted damn fine.

I will post tonight when I can look at the recipe, too much to remember. It was 6 lbs Muntons Wheat DME, some caramel and crystal, 1 oz coriander, 1 oz bitter orange peel, the rind of i think 3 oranges (sweet orange peel), and 1 lb clover honey. White Labs belgian wit.

tasted amazing!

homebrewer_99 said:
I make a lot of Hefe Weizen. I really don't care that much for a honey drink unless it's mead, but I've done A LOT of research (read: drinking) on honey brews.

My take on it is that the honey should be used for priming. Reason: the honey flavor is just fermented out.

What's your take on it...as well as your recipe (as previously asked)...I'm not sotally titfaced...:drunk:

Does it do anything for the body?

hey, it turned out great!! it cleared in about 14 days. I bottled it.The recipe is simple...2 cans of wheat extract, 8ozs of L-20 crystal malt, 8oz. of malto dextrin , 1oz.hallertaur hops(3/4 full boil--1/4 5mins) 1 pound clove honey, Wheast bavarian yeast pac...It turn out very good

I just had my first bottle ( test) of my NB Honey Weizen this afternoon! I hit my OG and my final gravity was about 1.008 (I think my hydro is wrong). The beer is good only after 1-1-1.5 about but a little thin.. not much body... what have you guys... and gals thought!

I haven't made beer for years.. would you be so kind to email me the complete instructions on doing the hefe weizen. My son is deployed over seas has asked for me to brew it for when he comes home. Want to make sure it is right. Thanks so much! Char [email protected]

Just recieved my honey wheat kit today can't wait to get it going. You have all said that the honey flavor is fermented out??? Is to the point you can't even taste honey?? Cause I am not one for the sweetness of honey wheat but i do like the overall flavor. What would it take to prime with honey if I were to do so?? And also what are some other good wheat beers to try? Or a good pale ale kit, cream ale???

Back