How to kill yeasties to death !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
First off, I posted here because it is a beer or cider question, but in this case about cider...

A friend of mine made a batch of cider that is WAY to strong and hasn't carbed up after 3 months in a bottle, and he figures the yeast is dead.. The plan of action is to backsweeten it with fresh juice, and pour it into a keg to carb it.

Do I need to do anything to make sure that the yeasties are dead (boil it ?) I don't have any campden or pot.sorbate on hand . Or should I just sanitize the keg and let it ride ??

Pasturize the bottles, there is a tutorial on this board somewhere. I think it's like 1-2 hours at 160 degrees F in a water bath.

If your keg is going to be refrigerated for serving after you put the Cider in it then you don't need to pasterize it. If you plan on bottling later then do what poster above said.

You should also back sweeten with frozen concentrate instead of juice, less will go further.

We ended up just sanitizing the keg and dumping the cider in, and enough fresh cider to bring the ABV down to around 5%.. After some force carbing and lots of shaking, it tastes pretty good !! I've always wanted to try backsweetening, and accidentally got the chance :)

I'll keep it cold and drink it fast ~

Back