A couple questions on an imperial stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babylon

Reaction score
I am planning on using Respect Imperial Stout for my second brew
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/respect-imperial-stout-extract-31763/
That's the recipe.

I have a few questions. First, the extract is all dry, would it be a good idea to substitute some LME for some of the DME?

I was thinking I would leave out the cane sugar and use 11 lbs of DME instead, is this a good idea or does the cane sugar add something important?

I have to use paypal to order my supplies and the only beer supply store I have found that takes paypal doesn't have target hops or any of the ones that were suggested as substitutes. Would Chinook taste alright instead? And if so should I tinker with the amounts or timings? I was thinking maybe cut down the amount slightly since it has more alpha acids.

I am planning on pouring this in onto a yeast cake from the batch of Irish Dry stout currently in my fermenter. Seem like a good idea? It's an Irish Ale yeast.

I brewed an Imperial Stout in Feb and just sampled the first bottle tonight and it was one of the better home brews I've made. I used 6.6 lbs of LME and 3.0 lbs of DME.

Not sure if that helps or not and I can provide complete recipe if you'd like.

I was pleasantly suprised with this recipe...I was kind of expecting it to be much heavier than it is, but it's really smooth and should improve in the next several weeks...!

I brewed an Imperial Stout in Feb and just sampled the first bottle tonight and it was one of the better home brews I've made. I used 6.6 lbs of LME and 3.0 lbs of DME.

Not sure if that helps or not and I can provide complete recipe if you'd like.

I was pleasantly suprised with this recipe...I was kind of expecting it to be much heavier than it is, but it's really smooth and should improve in the next several weeks...!

Love to see your recipe. I am actually kind of going for heavy.

6.6 lbs wheat malt extract
3.0 lbs wheat dry malt extract
.5 lbs crushed chocolate wheat malt
.5 lbs crushed caramel wheat malt
.25 lbs crushed roasted barley
.25 lbs crushed black patent malt
.25 lbs crushed chocoalt malt
8.0 oz lactose
1.0 oz galena hops (60 min boil)
1.0 oz cluster hops (30 min)
1.0 oz sterling hops (5 min)
1 package brewers yeast

OG 1.080
FG 1.027

brewed on 2/21, racked to carboy 2/27 and bottled 3/19.

Prob should have mentioned that this was a Wheat Stout. Headed into the warmer months, i was thinking that i should have made this last fall so I could drink it over the winter, but after what i had tonight, i'm not concerned about what the outside temp is....it's just good beer!

Hopefully someone can help me out a little more? I'm planning on ordering my ingredients tomorrow.

Back