Keg that reeks of Mountain Dew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldoar15

Reaction score
No matter how many times I've scrubbed that thing with hot water and Oxi Clean, that smell remains.

Any ideas?

Huh, I just used StarSan and it was fine, although mine didn't reek, just smelled like Mountain Dew a little. Fill with warm water and baking soda, let soak overnight.

Did you replace the o-rings? That would be the only thing that might hold the odor after a long hot Oxi soaking. You say you scrubbed it, but did you let is soak for a day?

I stripped it all the way down, but I'll try the baking soda. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks.

What's up, Waldo?

Did you pull and clean the dip tubes? Check that the poppets aren't caked with soda gunk. I had a Dr Pepper keg with syrup in every crevice.

What's up, Waldo?

Did you pull and clean the dip tubes? Check that the poppets aren't caked with soda gunk. I had a Dr Pepper keg with syrup in every crevice.

Oh man, I bought that keg four months ago and have stripped and cleaned it to my wits end and it still stinks to high heaven. I'll try the baking soda on it tomorrow.

well, if nothing else works you can always try baking it off in an oven at 400F
If you can't get it in an oven, you can do a boil in it with vinegar maybe.

Would not do that with a keg that has rubber on it!

Oh man, I bought that keg four months ago and have stripped and cleaned it to my wits end and it still stinks to high heaven. I'll try the baking soda on it tomorrow.

You replace ALL the seals (keg lid, posts) and it still stinks of Mt Dew?

How about an hour or two soak in bleach water.

I have a keg that my neighbor put root beer in... Got similar problems. I did an oxyclean soak, followed by saniclean and replaced the o-rings.

Reading this thread, it just dawned on me I didn't touch the pressure relief valve... ???

Buy a case of Natty Light and dump in there. Re carb it and see if it absorbs the Mt Dew flavors.

Back