What is Single Infusion Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
What are the steps? I keep reading all these recipes that call for a single infusion mash. I havent made alot of AG beers just 3 and I have made them all the same way (mash for 60 to 90mins then sparge with 170 degree water).

What are the steps? I keep reading all these recipes that call for a single infusion mash. I havent made alot of AG beers just 3 and I have made them all the same way (mash for 60 to 90mins then sparge with 170 degree water).

You are doing single infusion mashes. One water infusion, mash, then sparge however you wish. I just did a 7 step infusion on a dopplebock and maibock, that was interesting.

A while back, people would start at lower temperatures, then step up to the final mash temperature. It was harder to get the starches out of the grain and enzyme levels were lower. Single step infusion was relatively rare. But with modern fully-converted malts, it's used most of the time.

Latest posts

Back