Restaurant Auction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
Up where I go to school, the old HRM Inn (Hotel and Restaurant Management) closed because a new hotel opened up for the university. They are doing an auction on all the supplies from the kitchen and I went to check out the equipment and there are big aluminum pots there for the auction.

Does anyone think it would be worth it to pick one up for brewing. Not to the turkey fryer stage in my brewing... still use a stove but it would be nice to get a pot bigger than 4 gallons. I talked to the guy running the event about 4 or 5 months ago (I also work on campus) and he told me I didn't want aluminum for brewing...(didn't feel like getting into a whole argument about him bwt aluminum and ss pots) so I don't care if they are aluminum.

Auction is tomorrow from 9-10am. I was thinking of trying to pick one up for like 10 or 15 dollars hopefully. What do you all think? Is there anything I should look out for coming from restaurant pots?

Should work beautifully. I personally like SS but I've done my share of aluminum brewing too. I'd look for atleast 30qt and preferably 40+ qts. I think that someone has posted a method for getting a steam-jacketed kettle up and running too. That would be awful slick to have. You might also want to pick up a couple large spoons to use as a mash paddle.

I'd look for one around 10 gallons larger. This will allow you to brew 5-6 gal AG batches which is nice. Just look for one with solid construction, a nice thick bottom. Aluminum is fine if you condition it properly. If you could get one on the cheap I'd buy it fo sho.

You could probably put together enough coin from reselling a few of the items you come across to at least pay for a free batch of brew, just sayin'...

Most of these pots are indestructable. Just make sure the handles are well attached and they aren't too dirty. Look for Lincoln or Vollrath. Good luck, they'll go very quickly.

go for it . its always better to have to big than to small. And you will end up using it someday I have a 30 gallon industrial grade aluminum pot . No boilovers even with 15 gallons going

RESTAURANT AUCTIONS...

Look out, that is where I got hooked. "Hey, that meat slicer might come in handy - maybe I can make a meat mead."

Buy it all!

RESTAURANT AUCTIONS...

Look out, that is where I got hooked. "Hey, that meat slicer might come in handy - maybe I can make a meat mead."

Buy it all!

Hahaha mmmmm a meat slicer... I hope I can get a pot for not too much money.

I had checked out the pots several months ago. I am a mover for the university and we had to move in stuff for a quarantine for H1N1 in case any cases popped up here. And they were all in pretty good condition. I am hoping there will not be to many people here, I believe the fliers went up just on campus, and since it is from 9-10 am I hope most people will be at work..?..

I would get one. Like other have said 40+ quarts is the target. I have a 30quart aluminum and it's just a wee bit too small but the aluminum aspect is just fine. If it were me I would also look for any fermentation temperature devices such as fridges.

a frig would be excellent, stainless counters too. large stainless spoon, maybe a funnel. keep a creative eye open and think of possibilities.

Oh I will be looking at everything thinking... how can I use this for brewing. I am very excited for this, I had to get work off tomorrow so I can attend

Well nothing good came from this auction for me. The pots that I wanted was in a bundle type package with dozens of stainless steel trays and lids. Ended up selling for like 350 I think. Guess I know what to expect now at a restaurant auction. It was a bummer to find that out too cause it was about 2 hours in before they got to that lot number.

Back