nothing but the keggle lid question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhausjoe

Reaction score
Now that you have cut the top off your keg, how do you re-use it for a lid? I have welded stainless pieces on the rim so it does not fall in. But how do you plug the center hole? I wanted to plug it with a wood plug, but I thing it would swell up and go 'bad' after a few uses. The bottom is what I am worried about. Is there something I could use to seal the hole from the wood? I really dont want to weld it shut.

Here is the hole I am talking about (I am sure you have all seen it before)

keggle_lid_05_800x600.JPG

Here is the plug:

keggle_lid_04_800x600.JPG

Here is the issue. How would you seal it?

keggle_lid_01_800x600.JPG

Thanks!

Ummmmmm. Okay.

So, how ya gonna keep your lid (that is smaller than the hole it came from) from fallin' into yer kettle/mash bro?

Ahaaaaa!

Ahaaaaa!

I bought a 12" lid for my converted keg from a restaurant supply and cut the hole to fit it. Strangely though, I almost never use it.

How about just using SS washers, nut and bolt and bolt a washer on both sides? You can find flat "o-rings" that can be uses as a moister barrier if you wanted on the bottom washer.

on my boil kettle I don't use a lid at all, but on my HLT I just have foil over the top and then I keep a spare small towel on it so its not too hot to grab

I'd use an undrilled rubber stopper. Same thing folks use to fit and air lock on a glass carboy, only without the hole. You can buy 'em undrilled. That way you can remove for cleaning.

Ummmmmm. Okay.

So, how ya gonna keep your lid (that is smaller than the hole it came from) from fallin' into yer kettle/mash bro?

Ahaaaaa!

Ahaaaaa!

Bad67z you are correct! I welded 3" washers at 4 points of the lid.

keggle13_800x600.JPG

Great ideas folks! I will see what I can find when I am out and about today. I'll post what I find.

Dip the wood piece into the rubber coating for pliers to seal it, then use a flat piece of aluminum stoct on each side of the hole larger than the hole with a hole in each of them to sandwich the stopper in there and use a short threaded rod with 2 nuts. viola! Sealed!

Drill a small hole through an undrilled rubber or tapered wood stopper. Insert stopper from bottom of neck and run a bolt through it. Put a washer and wingnut on top.

Heck, you could just use 2 washers, a bolt and nut if you wanted.

you said you already welded some stainless pieces on the rim so it wouldn't fall in.

can you weld a stainless fender washer to the hole on the top of the lid (rather than from the underside)? if you found a fender washer with a small enough ID, you could attach a knob prior to welding it in place.

Back