Advice On Ss Kettles!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
ADVICE ON SS KETTLES!!!

Hey homebrew homies- I NEED SOME HELP!!

I want to upgrade from my current 5gal. SS kettle to do full boils and AG in the near future. I have been researching kettles and have settled on the following two choices:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1036, 36-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: Winware Stainless Steel 40 Quart Stock Pot with Cover: Home & Garden

Here are the details:
1. The specs on the Bayou Classic are $75, 20 gauge SS, approximately .08MM thick and is a 36 quart kettle. Is this thick enough/sturdy enough to weld bulkheads to it?
2. The Winware is $135, 18/8 SS, approx. 1.25mm thick, is a 40 quart kettle and is definitely strong enough for welding but way more expensive.

My question is...which one should I go for??? I want to add a bulkhead fitting (ball valve and therm) for full boils and future AG use. Both of them are big enough to handle my needs. The Bayou Classic is $75; the Winware is $135; a pretty significant price difference. However, after seeing a 44 quart Bayou Classic (two gallons larger than one avilable on Amazon) at my LHBS it seemed thick/sturdy enough for bulkhead welding but it is not apples to apples to what I'm thinking about buying. Does anyone have any experience with the Bayou Classic 36qt. or Winware 40qt. kettle? I'd like to save some cash if I can, but would be willing to spend some extra money on the Winware if I read that it was a superior kettle or if there are some good reccos out there.

I guess at the end of the day I want to know if the Bayou Classic can support welded bulkheads and handle my brewing needs. I know the Winware can but want to save some cash.

It seems that I am answering my own questions but would like to hear from the HBT crew on which way to go.

HELP!?!

Thanks
axr

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking to save money, have you considered converting a keg? They are 15 gal and you can get them on Craigslist for like $30 and maybe another $30 to get someone to plasma cut the top off and weld your bulkheads.

if you're dead set on one or the other

I've owned the same bayou classic, it's a decent pot, but pretty thin. you'd have to get a welders opinion, but I'm thinking it's a little on the thin side, a weldless bulkhead would probably work ok.

+1 on the converted keg. with some good shopping it's the best deal.
I did a weldless on mine and have about 35 bucks into it.

I bought that Winco SST-40 at Wasserstrom for $78.89. (shipping & tax came to $17 though) But it looks like it's out of stock there now.

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_562533

It's definitely a nicely made pot for the money with an aluminum layer sandwiched in between the stainless for better heat distribution. My only negative is that it's a bit wide (would have preferred less wide and higher pot) I'm not a welder, but the metal is definitely much more solid than the basic 5 gallon stainless pot I have, so I think you should be able to have a fitting welded if needed.

I bought this because I have an induction stovetop which requires a magnetic stainless bottom which this pot has. I'd like to keep brewing in the kitchen, but may end up outside anyway as the induction stove is borderline for getting a full boil on 6.5 gallons of water.

Back