Going to try my first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I love sours and have been reading up on sour mashing so I figured I'd give it a shot. What do you guys think of the recipe? Any suggestions/critiques?

6# Pils
3# Wheat

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes and drop 1/2# crushed 2row into the wort and hold at 110ish for 12-15 hours.

90 minute boil, adding .5oz willamette at 60 minutes.

DCL S33 yeast in primary.

Rack onto 8# frozen blueberries and 1oz oak chips for 14 days.

Transfer to tertiary until clear.

Yea, its a way to get a controlled lactic sourness. This technique is mainly used when doing Guiness clones, since they use a portion of soured wort in their beer. This technique will produce some sourness. Not nearly as much as putting lacto in the ferment.

Yea, its a way to get a controlled lactic sourness. This technique is mainly used when doing Guiness clones, since they use a portion of soured wort in their beer. This technique will produce some sourness. Not nearly as much as putting lacto in the ferment.

So you're saying I won't be able to get it very sour this way?

If you want it very sour, I suggest pitching a pure Lactobacillus culture two days before pitching your Saccharomyces.

See the Spurhund Zunge recipe in my pull-down.

I think I'll try that next time since I didn't order any bugs this time. Any other suggestions?

Back