Irish Red Ale Copperhead Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally put this on and it's slowly carbing up. Excellent beer, very quaffable. Thanks for the recipe. I think next time I'm going to add a little more roasted barley.

View attachment 273636

A great smooth easy drinker. I used the four oz of roasted barley, so it came out a little darker. A big hit with my wife and a new favorite with me, thanks to the original poster for sharing a great recipe.

PS: might have to try it on 1968 since I just got a fresh smack pack.

Nice looking beer! You're welcome for the recipe, I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

I am re-visiting this beer next brew. I'm going to sub in 10% rye and use Marris Otter instead of Pale malt. Reading my earlier posts in this thread bring back memories :drunk: :p

I brewed up a batch of this last night as my first attempt at all grain and BIAB. Went surprisingly smoothly (I'm still amazed I pulled it off). During the boile I kept thinking "I thought this would be redder." But when the trub dropped out during the chilling and I got a look at the true color, wow. What a beautiful red color. I am eagerly looking forward to tasting this recipe when it's done. Thanks for sharing it!

So my first batch has been in primary for about three weeks and then another week in secondary. SG seems to be holding steady at 1.025, does that seem right? It strikes me as still pretty darn sweet, but it hasn't changed in almost two weeks.

I made this recipe & tapped the keg a few weeks ago - great color but I thought it was a little malty / heavy. Color came out great with 3 oz of RB.

I finished at 4.3% ABV and, after a week of drinking it, decided to experiment & bumped the ABV up to 5.5% using some algebra & vodka <g> - BIG difference! I like this beer a lot better now!

The slightly higher ABV offset the maltiness / heaviness nicely. Next time I'm going to try mashing at a lower temp.

I used Maris Otter instead of 2-row, not sure if that was what the issue was.

So my first batch has been in primary for about three weeks and then another week in secondary. SG seems to be holding steady at 1.025, does that seem right? It strikes me as still pretty darn sweet, but it hasn't changed in almost two weeks.

Sounds like you mashed a little too high.

Back