The hopefully not obnoxious wood fired brick oven build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.... basically what you are saying is that the only way this whole deal could be more of an epic fail is if it HAD actually exploded as several of us predicted.
epic

Epic_Snail.jpg

What's "Sad" is that that snail can build a better pizza oven than you can and get it done in under a year.

Cape certainly IS annoying, isn't he?

As far as the oven, it has the side walls up and the inside voids filled with insulation. There is a layer of Nomex cloth (the stuff that they use for firefighters gear and race car drivers suits) laud over the dome then a perlite/vermiculite blend was added to act as insulation. I cooked in it in Sunday and it was about 900*F inside and I put a thermometer on the peak of the roof and it was just about 100*F. I'm very happy with how well the insulation is working. I've started screwing the metal lath on the sides for the stucco.

Only thing owing me down is paying for it. We're going to the Galápagos Islands and I needed to finish paying for that first. But that's pretty much paid so I'll be rolling soon.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438877436.923595.jpg

This is a pic of the Nomex with the insulation just getting started.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438877536.047219.jpg

This one shows the last of the small sized insulation just poured out of the bags. After I spread it around I was able to pour another 6 cu ft bag of larger size perlite on top. The perlite is a volcanic rock that gets heated in a blast furnace and the water trapped within expands. It's basically rock popcorn, full of air. A six cu ft bag of this 'rock' weights about 10 pounds.

So Paulie, I meant to ask; why the Perlite instead of mineral wool? Neither's got a terrific R value, but mineral wool's a little better. Neither burns. But mineral wool seems like it would be a metric ****ton easier to work, certainly easier than bags of basically loose sand. Seems like it's be a lot easier to keep mineral wool to stay in place, especially on the top, than the Perlite.

Never even thought of using mineral wool but Perlite is better. At least I think it is. Dunno. I'm a nurse damn it not a professional oven builder. You hire a nurse to build your piazza oven and you get a nurse built piazza oven.

... did you, like, do ANY research before throwing this together? Like, maybe a Google search for "best fireproof insulation"?

Uhhhh. Bird..... He owns a boat. I think he is morrrrrre than qualified to take on a project of this nature. A five year build out is pretty much standard. Randomly, made up approaches? Allllll part of the PTN mystique.

Yeah... We just keep reinvesting them. Wanna compare pictures of completed projects related to the brewery vs the pizza oven?

... and for the record, the brewery didn't open until until 1/1/13. The LLC was formed in Dec 2011 so "2011" is a bit misleading

Back