Should I cover the top of my bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
It's bottling day and I wanted to know if I should be covering the top of my bottling bucket to prevent anything from getting in? Dust, contaminates, etc...

I have done both ways with no noticable differences, but I normally just lightly place my fermenting bucket lid on the bottling bucket to make sure nothing nasty from the air gets into the beer. Don't place the lid on tight though.

When I still bottled I usually put some cellophane over the top to prevent anything airborne from falling in accidentally

It's alcohol at this point, and not a friendly environment for bacteria or wild yeast. I have never covered my bottling bucket, but if you have an extra lid sitting around, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

i leave the lid sitting lightly on top so air can still get in to let the beer come out but stopping anything visible from falling in

WHEN I was still bottling, I would cover the bucket with a sanitized towel. Simply get it soaked with StarSan, wring it out (over the StarSan bucket) and then drape over the top of the bottling bucket. Keeps things from falling in. I'm talking about everything from hair to that damned fly buzzing around. :eek:

I put the lid on. Wipe it down good with star San. I bottle outside and there are a lot of bugs in AR.

Get a spray bottle from Home Depot/Lowe's and use that to spray the inside of the lid. Gets everywhere you can't with a towel (or whatever you use to wipe)... :D :rockin:

Golddiggie said:
Get a spray bottle from Home Depot/Lowe's and use that to spray the inside of the lid. Gets everywhere you can't with a towel (or whatever you use to wipe)... :D :rockin:

Right on. I only do it to ease my mind. thanks for the tip tho, might just do it.swmbo took my last one.

Well, I just finished bottling & I was so preoccupied with doing this & that, I forgot about covering my bucket, lol. I think everything will be fine after reading through many of the responses. Thank you much!

My brew buddy (who still bottles his finished beer) doesn't cover the bucket. He's not had any issues that I know of. It's more a persona preference IMO. I do use a sanitized towel to cover the corny keg opening while I'm filling those. Just a little bit of extra insurance against something falling in.

Well i have a cat so b4 i bottle anything i boot out the cat , Sanitize my whole work area + all equipment and bottles kegs.
I always pop the lid but only slightly Leaving the bucket 99% covered, Dont want any floating cat hair in there.

Note
No Cats were hurt during this procedure

ALWAYS cover it. If there is a single fly, stinkbug, junebug, moth in your house it will end up in your beer!

I always try to keep a cover over any container of beer unless I'm actively doing something that needs the cover off. I also keep the lid on my toilet closed except when in use. In both cases, I don't want anything falling in.

You don't want an airtight seal, though, otherwise it won't drain out the spigot. I just sanitize the inside of the bucket and rest it on top.

Back