honey nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdwdr

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
#wl005
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.052 - 1.054
Final Gravity
1.012 - 1.018
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14+ @ 70 F
Tasting Notes
All grain kit have brewed a couple times and will keep on brewing. Always turns out good.

Grains
9 lbs. 2-Row
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Caramel 10L

Hops
1.5 oz. Northern Brewer 60 mins***
0.5 oz. Willamette 2 mins***

Additions
gypsum 60 mins
2 lbs. Clover Honey 15 mins
irish moss 15 mins

Yeast
#wl005 British Ale

Mash at 152 F 60 mins.
Batch sparged at 170 F for 30 mins

***kit comes with 2 oz nb and 1 oz willamette. ive thrown all of them in at the regularly scheduled times and it turns out fine for my likings.

Ive batch sparged every time ive done this recipe but recently got the capability to fly sparge so i shall be doing that from now on out. If fly sparging do as you normally would.

will probably experiment with some honey malt and possibly MO or Golden Promise as base next time around for a bit more sweetness. but, as is its a decent beer. pops is a bmc drinker and he said he was surprised at how good it was.

This looks pretty good... I think I'll add it to my summer brewing schedule. I've never brewed with honey before...

Not bad...take the gypsum out tho..ill have to edit the recipe when i geta chance...i just cracked a few from my last one on friday did 123 method and carbed with cane...used 2 oz for bittering and 1 for flavor...its good but not as balanced so next time i might try using 1 n 1 see how tht turns out

You shouldnt need need to...theyre not bad...im not a big hophead..i like a little sweetness to my beer but if you are worried about it its just a recipe. You can always tweak it. Like i posted before i might just try using one oz of each n see how that turns out. I like to experimen. That being said if u dnt like bitterness definately dont use the entire 2 oz for bittering...its good tasting..my pops sounded like he liked it better this way but like i said...i like a bit more sweetness

All grain kit have brewed a couple times and will keep on brewing. Always turns out good.

3rdwdr - Thanks for the recipe! I brewed this with my buddy earlier today and ended up getting a higher gravity reading - about 1.068. Do you know what efficiency this recipe assumes? If closer to 70%, i think that would explain the difference, as I think we hit somewhere in the high 70's.

The color looks great...we ended up using 1.5oz of Northern Brewer and 1oz. of Willamette, and added the honey at flameout. I'll let you know how it turns out!

We had a slight issue with our thermometer so i think we mashed-in closer to 160 so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Not sure what efficiency they are going for..it doesnt say. The only thing it gives is sg and og..but higher doesnt sound bad imo...could be due to higher mash temp? Not sure. Happy brewing tho and lemme know the turnout.

Not sure what efficiency they are going for..it doesnt say. The only thing it gives is sg and og..but higher doesnt sound bad imo...could be due to higher mash temp? Not sure. Happy brewing tho and lemme know the turnout.

High mash temp ==> lower OG, so that is unlikely. More likely the recipe was formulated for a lower efficiency.

Plug it all into QBrew (or BeerSmith, if you want to spend the money) and adjust to get the right numbers.

I know this is an old thread, but I had a question for some who had brewed this brown ale. I hit all of my numbers and after about 3 weeks in primary i took the gravity and it was right at 1.018 and after a taste it was not a honey (sweet) as I would like it. I used 2lbs of Tupelo honey in my process and I was trying to get it a little sweet.

My question is has anyone tried to dissolve some honey when they boil their priming sugar? If so how did it turn out? Did it make it a little sweeter after a few weeks in the bottle.

I know this is an old thread, but I had a question for some who had brewed this brown ale. I hit all of my numbers and after about 3 weeks in primary i took the gravity and it was right at 1.018 and after a taste it was not a honey (sweet) as I would like it. I used 2lbs of Tupelo honey in my process and I was trying to get it a little sweet.

My question is has anyone tried to dissolve some honey when they boil their priming sugar? If so how did it turn out? Did it make it a little sweeter after a few weeks in the bottle.

My understanding is that all/most of the sugars from the honey ferment-out, so it doesn't really add any sweetness to the beer, though you should retain some of the other flavors/properties from the honey as long as you add it in the right point in the boil (I think some argue that you can even add some post-boil...but I can't quite remember).

If you boil honey with the priming sugar you are probably going to end up adding way too much sugar at that point in the process, and have a bunch (more likely - all) of the tops pop off your bottles during bottle conditioning.

Some more experienced recipe-crafters can chime in here, but if you are looking for a 'sweeter' taste, you might want to mess with the grain bill next time through to make it a bit maltier. My recommendation would be to let this one run its course without adding anything this late in the game, see how it turns out when carbonated and chilled, and then take another crack at it with some tweaks once you know what the 'original' tastes like. You may be surprised with the final result!

Some good points thanks. I really don't wont a whole bunch of bottles popping during conditioning. I will just leave it alone this time and maybe next time I brew it just change the bill like you said.

Taking a stab at this right now. Went up to 12# maris otter and 3# honey malt. 5oz of choc malt. Going to add 1# of honey instead of 2 since I have honey malt already.

I think I'm going to do the same Friday, only I'm switching down to 3 gallons

3 lb 2 row
12 oz clover honey
0.25 lb Crystal 60
0.25 lb Chocolate
0.25 Honey Malt (I have some leftover from last brew)
0.6 oz Kent Golding 60 min
0.4 oz Kent Golding 5 min

How did this beer turn out? my dad loves honey browns and I really wanted to know how this turned out maybe even a picture would be awesome thanks!

Here is my recipe:
Honey Nut Brown Ale
Ingredients oz. lb. "Percent
Type" "Percent
Total"
Amount Item Type Comment
WORT WATER
Filtered Water Water 3 Gallons 384.0 24.0000 100.0% 60.00%
FERMENTING WATER
Filtered Water Water ~2 Gallons 256.0 16.0000 100.0% 40.00%
TOTAL WATER
Filtered Water Water 640.0 40.0000 100.00%
GRAINS
1.00 lb Dextrine (CaraPils) Malt Grain Steep 30 min 16.0 1.0000 32.3% 7.69%
1.00 lb Crystal (Caramel) Malt - 60L Grain Steep 30 min 16.0 1.0000 32.3% 7.69%
1.00 lb Munich Malt Grain Steep 30 min 16.0 1.0000 32.3% 7.69%
0.10 lb Chocolate Malt Grain Steep 30 min 1.6 0.1000 3.2% 0.77%
49.6 3.1000 100.0% 23.83%
MALT EXTRACTS
6.00 lbs Amber Liquid Malt Extract (LME) Extract Boil 60 min 96.0 6.0000 82.8% 46.13%
1.25 lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract (DME) Extract Boil 60 min 20.0 1.2500 17.2% 9.61%
116.0 7.2500 100.0% 55.74%
SUGARS
1.50 lbs Clover Honey Sugar Boil 60 min 24.0 1.5000 60.0% 11.53%
1.00 lb Light Brown Sugar Sugar Boil 60 min 16.0 1.0000 40.0% 7.69%
40.0 2.5000 100.0% 19.22%
HOPS
1.00 oz Pearle Hops Hops Boil 60 min 1.0 0.0625 40.0% 0.48%
0.50 oz Williamette Hops Hops Boil 15 min 0.5 0.0313 20.0% 0.24%
1.00 oz Mt. Hood Hops Hops Boil 5 min 1.0 0.0625 40.0% 0.48%
2.5 0.1563 100.0% 1.20%
FINING
1.00 tsp Irish Moss Misc Boil 10 min
YEAST
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) – or - Yeast
British Ale II (Wyeast 1335)
Totals 208.1 13.0063 100.00%

My question or comment deals with the honey. There appear to be two schools of thought on the matter. One is to add it to the boil, essentially using it as a sugar. The second, is to add it to the fermenter. This is where I would like some input. How does one do that. I know that I must purify the honey (boil it with 1/2 honey & 1/2 water at 180 degrees for 60 minutes), but, how do I add it to the fermenter? Do I just pour it in, or, is there some other method, i.e., move the fermenting beer to a bucket add the honey/water and return it to the carboy? Any comments would be appreciated.

Honey Nut Brown Ale.JPG

Back