Gettig ill off homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just bad timing. There are a bunch of bugs going around right now, including a few intestinal bugs. I had a similar issue this weekend. Went ot a friends on Saturday, we drank, but not a ton, felt crappy the next day, figured it was a low grade hangover, when it was still there Monday, I realized it wasn't the beer.

When my friend found out that I started homebrewing he told that he brewed exactly once many years ago. He got a small kit for a gift and brewed a batch up. When he drank it, his throat got really sore. He said it was the most painful thing he ever experienced. He went to the doctor and he was told he has a yeast infection in his throat. The doctor said it was probably from the beer.

I don't think he was making it up but I'm still unsure as to whether it was really the brew.

Is your friend immunocompromised or was s/he at that time? I doubt any concentration of Brewer's yeast would cause that in a normal person.

From what I understand food poisoning can show up relatively quickly (30 minutes).

Absolutely correct. Something highly contaminated with staph can cause all sorts of nasty problems in 30 minutes with a typical incubation period of 1 to 6 hours.

Back