Brewer's Gold hops in Pete's Wicked Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a PM of Pete's Wicked Ale clone. I just opened the bittering hops and WOW! I've never used Brewer's Gold before but they smell so good! I'm excited about this brew. I wish they made air fresheners for your car in hops scents. I'd take Willamette and Brewer's Gold hops. Awesome smell in my house right now.

Recipe:
1/2 lb Vienna malt
1/2 lb Crystal 60L
1/4 lb chocolate mald
1 3/4 lb two row

5 1/2 lb pale LME

1 oz Brewer's Gold (9.1%AA) 60 minutes
1/2 oz EKG (6.0%AA) 15 minutes

Lorena

Interesting, the one time I used Brewer's Gold there wasn't much of an aroma. Maybe I got the American hop & you have the German version?

Man, I have not seen a Pete's Wicked Ale around these parts in ages! it was all the rage about 10 years ago. Is it still a popular beer?

Cheesefood said:
I remember a Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde that tasted like strawberry soda added to Old Style.

I remember that too- now I won't even TRY a fruit beer. I found Pete's Wicked Ale in Woodmans in Appleton about a month ago, and bought it. It's the first time in ages. I like it- it'll make a good "house" beer. My husband has been putting away my Dead Guy clone pretty quickly, and it's to replace that as our "house" beer. I like a slightly bitter, slightly hoppy, but malty beer for our every day drinking. I've been trying some different things. I like the Fat Tire clone for summer, but not for fall and winter. The Sawtooth clone is great (a mild ESB) as well as the Dead Guy. I think Pete's will fit in that class. As to whether or not it's popular, I don't know. I do know that if my husband wore cologne made out of Brewer's Gold hops, I'd be chasing him down.

:off: Is it normal to be turned on by the smell of hops?

Lorena

lorenae said:
I wish they made air fresheners for your car in hops scents.

How about just getting a muslin bag and shove some in that and tie it to the rearview mirror (like potpouri or whatever you call it). Thrown in a bit of pretty ribbon and Bobs yer uncle. Each time you get in the car give it a bit of a squeeze and enjoy the aroma :p

...I may put one in my ute (without the ribbon of course!)

dibby33 said:
How about just getting a muslin bag and shove some in that and tie it to the rearview mirror (like potpouri or whatever you call it). Thrown in a bit of pretty ribbon and Bobs yer uncle. Each time you get in the car give it a bit of a squeeze and enjoy the aroma :p

...I may put one in my ute (without the ribbon of course!)
Now you got me thinking... I may throw a couple pellets in my ashtray. Mmmm...hopped MINI. :rockin:

lorenae said:
:off: Is it normal to be turned on by the smell of hops?

Lorena

Does it for me. ;)

...How about a bath infusion? Any old hops lying around just chuck em in, come out smelling sweet, you would have to fight them off !!! :rolleyes:

Back