scratched funnel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamjaPA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to posting on the site but have been reading it for months.

i bought a funnel for my carboy at my LHBS, as i have been brewing in buckets so far. Got home and noticed surface sratches all over the inside of the funnel. i guess they came from the funnels being stacked on top of each other. i know scratches are bad but will little surface scratches (not deep at all) have a good chance of messing up my brew even if i santize the funnel with some star san?

im figuring the scratches have ruined the funnel, but i was hoping the star san will sanitize it good enough. kindof sucks to buy a new funnel and get home and the dang thing is scratched all up. how do you guys go about keeping your plastics in perfect shape without replacing them every other brew.

I just don't stack anything on them. If you sanitize it really well I wouldn't worry about surface scratches on your funnel though. Keep your eyes on your bucket if you use one, bacteria hide in them and can then utilize the sugars in the wort and screw with your brew :)

I usually use a sanitized hose to transfer wort to my carboys, I stick the hose in the neck just far enough to hold it, so there's a lot of splashing as the wort transfers (at least, until the level comes up enough to minimize it). I've moved back to buckets as my preferred primary, just for the ease of aeration, by pouring splashily from the kettle into the bucket. I only use carboys if I've gone on a brewing spree and used up my buckets.

Back