DC Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope to have it up this weekend...been really busy and just did 700 miles in two days, so I am glad to be off the road!! If you want the list, you need to PM me with an email address. I will give you my email address and a link to the price list once I get it online. The list will likely be setup so you can edit it online and add what you want. I am aiming for a January buy at this point as the holidays are upon us and I don't want to deal with it too much at this point. I am still working things out with our new supplier as well. Cheers all!

Sorry...I was under the weather this weekend and did not brew or do the list. What I might do is just put the raw list online and then the editable list later, that way you can at least see the prices. Have to combine a pdf and a spreadsheet to do that which turns out to be a bigger pain that you would think...

OK, the list is up. I sent emails (sorry for the spam and multiple emails if you received them!) to all on group buys #2,3,4, and 5. If you did not get an email, I will try to work on that as I have time in the next week or two. I have a queue of new folks on here...I will get to you as long as you gave me an email address.

The list is just that, a simple price list with total price in yellow. I will be putting up a form and giving you access to it as you sign up for the buys. You will be able to edit the sheet yourselves. I will retain a master sheet just in case someone does something silly. More to come as I figure this out.

If you don't get an email from me by the end of the month, hit me up again. Until then, please be patient.

As usual, please do not give out the link...the buyer has asked that I try to control access to it, so even though it is more of a PITA for me, I will abide by his wishes! Please do likewise.

Cheers!

Glad things are working themselves out. Thanks for all the hard work, Tony.

I am definitely interested in hopping in on this one, or the next if this one is full.

Here is what I would want:

2 x Rahr 2-row (55lb)
1 x Weyermann Vienna
1 x Weyermann Light Munich

I would also be interested to see if anyone would want to split any, or all, of the following:

Victory (I can take up to 10lb)
Special B (I can take up to 1/2 sack)
CaraRed (I can take up to 10lb)
Torrified Wheat (I can take 10lb)

Patiently waiting... Thanks for all your work in this!

OK, I think I got all of the new folks and a few of the old crowd that either were in Group Buy #1 or bought with others or somehow I was missing an email address for. Remember if you want the list I need an email address to send you the link and to contact you about the buys in the future.

OK, I think I got all of the new folks and a few of the old crowd that either were in Group Buy #1 or bought with others or somehow I was missing an email address for. Remember if you want the list I need an email address to send you the link and to contact you about the buys in the future.

Hey Tony, Don't see the email, should I send you another PM with my email?

Cheers,
Joshua

I'd like:

1 x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1 x BRI1002 Briess 2-Row Brewers 50 lb
1 x BRI1003 Briess Pale Ale 50 lb

Price: $135.15

Split's I'm interested in:

10 - 20lbs of Briess 2-Row Caramel 40
15 - 20lbs of Briess Bonlander® Munich
05 - 10lbs of Briess 2-Row Chocolate

Is anyone trying to manage and oversee splits?

Cheers,
Djpuckett

EDIT: I edited this message on 12/15/2013 to update my buy, previous order was 2 x RAH1003. That is no longer desired.

Yo Tony - where is buy #6 at sack-wise? I am trying to round up a couple of splits and just wanted to know how close you are.

Buy #6 has no sack limit or sack minimum. It will end third Sat. in Jan, will be ordered on Sun., and will be picked up the following Sat. according to the current plan. If we keep to this plan, then the buys will occur on a predictable schedule, either once a month or once every two months depending on how things go. So you can sign up anytime between now and Jan. 18th...

Buy #6 has no sack limit or sack minimum. It will end third Sat. in Jan, will be ordered on Sun., and will be picked up the following Sat. according to the current plan. If we keep to this plan, then the buys will occur on a predictable schedule, either once a month or once every two months depending on how things go. So you can sign up anytime between now and Jan. 18th...

How do we know if our bags are on the order?

PM sent! I'm psyched--I bought a sack of pilsner from 3 Star a few months back and they were super nice, but I usually do MDHB since it's closer. I'll be happy to give the "little guys" more of my business now, if they're helping out with group buys! That's awesome.

Hey there--can we order a bulk quantity of PBW this way?

Also, anyone interested in a split of honey malt, Vienna malt, or golden promise?

Hey there--can we order a bulk quantity of PBW this way?

Also, anyone interested in a split of honey malt, Vienna malt, or golden promise?

A 50lb jug of PBW would run you $175. A 4lb container is $31.50. 6% DC sales tax applies to the PBW. I would be happy to get in on a split of all three if you get enough interest; 5-10 of honey, 10-20 of the other two.

OK folks...we are getting down to the last few days of this. If you want something, you better start posting it. I will do up a spreadsheet this weekend with what is on the board so far, go another week or two, and turn it in as is. I will try to do a mass email to all who have posted a buy order to do one last sanity on it before we order.

There are 12 sacks in this buy. I am not counting any splits...Fritz has said he would coordinate them, setup a google drive spreadsheet, but I don't think anything has been input. There are at least 3-4 split posts so far, so get this into his spreadsheet so he can add them to the total order or there won't be any splits. Search through this string of posts and you will find his post...

Once I post the spreadsheet for review, you will have to pay up front via PayPal. I will give them the sheet and your money and we will all meet the next weekend at 3 stars to divvy up the goods. If you cannot be there, then send someone else or make arrangements with someone from this list. There is probably someone who lives down the street from you on most of these buys. Give him a beer and he will help you.

If you want to get a copy of the price list, YOU NEED TO SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS! Getting tired of saying that. The email system on HBT is not meant/designed for this kind of activity nor does it support lists or the like, so we need to do this via email.

I plan to put this order in on the 18th of Jan. It should be picked up the following Sat. the 25th. Let's not screw this first one up folks! Cheers!

I am in Columbia Heights, in DC.

Excellent. Anyone else interested in a split?

I'm looking for a few sacks. Sent my email address for the price list. I just need to check pricing to see if it's worth it for me to take the drive from South Jersey.

if we get a split going, i would take 5 lbs of PBW (if we're not splitting, i'll just get my own 4 lb jug eventually).

i'm in for 10 lbs of vienna and 20 lbs of golden promise (or whatever amounts work out, i'm flexible).

(climateboy: suggestion - link "Join DC Homebrewers" in your sig to the DCHB homepage, http://blog.dchomebrewers.com/)

are there no group buys closer to you? you're of course welcome to join us on ours, but i gotta believe that there is a group buy somewhere closer...

edit: like this one, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/south-jersey-philly-group-buy-round-39-a-429472/index14.html

There was a huge buy for years that is now no more. Every month or two we'd have enough for 2 pallets (80 sacks). The buys filled up in days if not hours. Check out South Jersey Group Buys in this forum. They were crazy big and went crazy fast. But, since they stopped selling to average joe shmoe, a local LHBS owner started organizing them. It's not as cheap, but still good prices. There's a hold up though because he has shoulder problems and needs surgery. He can't deal with lifting and moving 40-80 sacks of grain. Long story short, until he can get another going, I'm trying to find other options.

Me getting in on this DC buy would come down to cost. If I can save enough cash by purchasing a few sacks, I'll do it. I figured around $30-35 for gas and tolls to get down there, so we'll see once I get a price list.

EDIT: Yeah, the link you posted is what I'm talking about.

There might be some on this buy that live a little closer to you than DC that would be willing to let you pick up from them to save you a few miles.
Is that NJ LHBS owner the one from Brew Your Own Bottle or whatever it's called? He seemed like a really good guy from what I could tell. Shame if he's not able to work out the buys anymore. I had considered getting grain through him and having a friend up that way pick up for me, but the fine folks in this area were able to work out an arrangement.

There might be some on this buy that live a little closer to you than DC that would be willing to let you pick up from them to save you a few miles.
Is that NJ LHBS owner the one from Brew Your Own Bottle or whatever it's called? He seemed like a really good guy from what I could tell. Shame if he's not able to work out the buys anymore. I had considered getting grain through him and having a friend up that way pick up for me, but the fine folks in this area were able to work out an arrangement.

Yup that's him. His name's Brett. He's a great guy and great LHBS owner. I purchase most/all of my supplies through his shop except for the occasional bulk order of base malt or certain hops I buy by the pound. He has really tried to make things easier and cheaper for his customers since the group buys stopped. He now sells base malt at $1/lb. Weigh and bag it yourself. I believe specialty grains at $2/lb... same deal... you weigh it out and bag it. I'm sure he'll get them going again, just not anytime very soon. I know he has a history of shoulder problems and surgeries and needs another, so hopefully they get him fixed up and back in the game.

But yes, I have nothing but great things to say about Brett and Brew Your Own Bottle.

And yes.. this would be awesome. If I get a few sacks I'll ask around. Good suggestion.

Yup that's him. His name's Brett. He's a great guy and great LHBS owner. I purchase most/all of my supplies through his shop except for the occasional bulk order of base malt or certain hops I buy by the pound. He has really tried to make things easier and cheaper for his customers since the group buys stopped. He now sells base malt at $1/lb. Weigh and bag it yourself. I believe specialty grains at $2/lb... same deal... you weigh it out and bag it. I'm sure he'll get them going again, just not anytime very soon. I know he has a history of shoulder problems and surgeries and needs another, so hopefully they get him fixed up and back in the game.

But yes, I have nothing but great things to say about Brett and Brew Your Own Bottle.

Shoot, personally in that case I would offer to help hauling the sacks. I am sure he would appreciate the assistance and that would help in saving the buys. Then again, I once offered to assist the owner of the LHBS near me in carrying some stuff inside and he seemed offended or maybe thought I was trying to welch a freebie out of him.

Shoot, personally in that case I would offer to help hauling the sacks. I am sure he would appreciate the assistance and that would help in saving the buys. Then again, I once offered to assist the owner of the LHBS near me in carrying some stuff inside and he seemed offended or maybe thought I was trying to welch a freebie out of him.

That's how the last group buy went. The grain showed up and people came by to pick up their sacks (giggity), but I'm sure a few guys let the grain sit there for a few days. So I'm sure he had to lug it in. It's not a large shop so there isn't a ton of storage space. I'm sure extra sacks of grain get in the way and are an major inconvenience for him. I'm just speculating here, judging by the last few posts on the latest group buy.

But yes, I would have no problem lending a hand. I think it's more of the storage until everyone can make it there to pick up their grain and him possibly having to sling 55lb sacks around.

Anyone on here now have a price list they can email me? I'm just anxious to check out pricing and see if this is even worth my time and gas money. I can PM you my email to send it over.

Back