Help! Style of beer wife and I can agree on to keep kegged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
Hey all,

I like to keep three kegs of beer styles in the fridge.

1. A style I really like that my wife doesn't like (IPA, Stouts, Porter)
2. A style she really likes I can do without (Wheat, Blonde Ales)
3. One we agree on. Brown Ale Need other styles

We are bored with the brown ale for the "community keg". She is more malty, not has heavy beer lover, less alcohol and I am a big and bold beer lover.

Researching BCS, I am thinking English mild, Scottish 60 and/or 70.

Any thoughts on other styles? Thanks

Actually, I was going to suggest the Mild or one of the Scottish styles. Each of those are good ones to try and, particularly if you're brewing all grain, the Scottish 60 or 70 can present a couple new techniques to play around with to boot, thus making brew day a little more interesting for you!

Along similar lines, Bitters and ESB's are both in the same neighborhood - they're not truly bitter like their names would suggest. At least, they don't have to be. But they can be a little more bold than a straight English Mild would be.

Man, I thought I'd like Mild. I made 2 great batches, and they tasted great, but about 1/3 the way through the keg I was so tired of it. It's a light beer with a lot of flavor.

I am always ready for a Witbier. Kind of like a wheat, but with more flavor and light enough to have a couple.

Simple Pale Ale is nice.

Or maybe experiment with sours? Get some brett and just play around with it.

Maybe brew a nice big barleywine? Malty, yet high ABV with a bit of warmth in it.

You have lager capabilities? that would open you up to a lot of malty and tasty options. Scottish ales are really good and I would recommend it. You say your wife is not a fan of "heavy" beers is this just related to body? If so I am not sure why she doesn't like dry stout etc, or is it more a flavor thing where she wants more balanced or sweeter beers? Other options I can think of seem like your wife would like but you wouldnt:

American Wheat,
Kolsch,
Saison

Pale ale is a real pleaser. ESB's are great, too. We have a belgian blonde (pale-ale malt, single hop (nugget I believe) and WLP500...simple) on tap that we both really like. It has some sweetness but is also easy to drink and crisp at the same time.

An Irish red ale might be good. Even just make that a seasonal tap. Pumpkin ale soon. Christmas ale later.

My wife has similar tastes to yours it seems. She generally likes low ABV and light beers like Stella and Blue Moon. She doesn't like beers above about 20 IBU. ... But she loves dark malty beers even with a high ABV. So weizenbock and dopplebocks we both enjoy. I'll second the recommendation for the Scottish styles and London Brown Ale.

Why not try something totally different and make a Cider? My wife is similar to your wife and my tastes are similar to your tastes; so to compromise we each enjoy cider.

Interesting suggestions thus far. You could venture into European styles further with something like a German Maibock or a Belgian Dubbel.

My wife loves my summer shandy ale. That or an English bitter,which is great also with pit bbq'd beef or ribs.A lower IBU pale ale with pilsen malt & light malt mix should do,with haulertauer & saaz.

make a batch of apfelwein. Toss it in the keg- get some sprite if needed- otherwise straight up- I enjoy yes I do. So does about half a gazilllion people. Wiser words were once said, said no one.

Latest posts

Back