Multiple Container Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamulli

Reaction score
I have a question regarding using multiple containers to ferment large batches. I've read on here that some people do this to avoid having a large unwieldy container, but I'm wondering how you ensure that you have the same gravity in each container?
For my setup I do batch sparging and usually do 12 gallon batches. I've been fermenting in a 15 gallon keg, but find it almost impossible to move. It would seem that if I drained into two smaller fermenters I'd have different gravities because I'd expect more sugar in the first run offs than in the last and I don't want to have to transfer to a mixing container first. Am I right to worry about that and is there an easy way to deal with this that I'm just not thinking of?

Thanks
Paumulli

if you are boiling a 12 gallon batch then split it up then it will basically all have the same gravity. Liquids separating out into different densities takes hours if not longer of being completely still. The agitation caused by boiling mixes the liquid up completely and then you draw it off into a counter flow chiller while it is still turbulated from the boil or stir it slightly with the action of putting in a immersion chiller in the kettle which negates any separation.

The only catch when I have done 10 gallon batches (boil 12) is I like to have a starter for each fermenter as it is hard to pitch half of the slurry with any sort of accuracy. The first time I did it, I nearly had disaster, you can't un-pitch a slurry!

Clem

I've always liked the idea of using a T and running off into both fermenters simultaneously.

I use 2 3-gallon fermenters for all my high gravity beers (1.070 and up). I do a 5 gallon batch and end up with about 2.5 to 2.75 in each carboy. I pitch a full packet in each or use a starter for each of the same yeast. I separate the batch after cooling. Once both have completed fermenting and resting (about 21 to 28 days) I blend both back into a bottling bucket and mix and then mix in priming sugar and bottle. Works great!

I've split up to 20 gallons between 5 carboys on many occasions without problems. I do drain a little in one then another and keep moving it around until they are all more or less even. Even that is probably unnecessary.

Back