Breweries in DE, MD, or VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This Saturday I will be driving down from New Jersey to Newport News, Virginia. I'll be going through Delaware, the Maryland coast/southern counties, and then the Virginia coast. Does anyone know of any breweries or brewpubs where me and my better half can check out? Either a pub for some food and brew or a tour? I tried doing some initial searching and the most I found was St. Georges Brewing Co which is right near us....any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Ahhh...I always love DFH but I've been there a few times including this past weekend. Thanks a lot, though.

clipper city, flying dog, clay pipe, duclaw, frederick... There are several more. None of these are super-convenient assuming you're coming down 95. Clipper city might be the most direct?

If you end up taking a Western route and are interested at all in wine, there are several good wineries. Boordy is one of my favorites out there, but there are several others that make good wine.

The Brewer's Art in Baltimore and Franklin's in Hyattsville are both MD brewpubs and are near 95.

In DE, Dogfish is the big one, but for breweries there's also Evolution, Fordham/Old Dominion, Twin Lakes, & 16 Mile. If you want a brewpub you have Iron Hill and Stewarts as options as well.

In DE, Dogfish is the big one, but for breweries there's also Evolution, Fordham/Old Dominion, Twin Lakes, & 16 Mile. If you want a brewpub you have Iron Hill and Stewarts as options as well.

Can you tour Fordham/Dominion? I know they are in Dover but I have never heard whether or not there is a pub or a brewery tour.

Can you tour Fordham/Dominion? I know they are in Dover but I have never heard whether or not there is a pub or a brewery tour.

I've never been there personally, but the First State Brewers homebrew club meeting is being held there tonight, so I imagine they must have some sort of area for tours or tastings.

I went on a tour at Dominion, but it was in the mid 1990's. They did the tours on weekends, when there wasn't anyone else there.

Up the road from Newport News is Williamsburg Aleworks. Their Cafe Royale or Coffeehouse Stout is out right now. Either one is definitely worth having. Also in Williamsburg is a good beer bar, the Green Leafe. Further west of here, in Richmond, the Capitol Alehouse, and out by Charlottesville are two outstanding breweries, Devil's Backbone and Blue Mountain Brewery.

Cheers!

Outside of Dogfish there aren't any top-tier breweries in the 3 states, though places like Flying Dog and Clipper City have some interesting offerings. There are tons of smaller places that are pretty hit or miss.

Probably the best beer brewed in VA is at the Blue Mountain brewpub in Afton, just off of Rt 64 outside of Charlottesville. Williamsburg Aleworks (mentioned above) is high on that list, too.

Back