I'm a noob and I'm scared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMKsuburbannoise

Reaction score
(HERE is a QUESTION: I am not sure how to use the hydrometer? Do I use it as soon as I start to ferment or in a few days or both? and how do I know what the reading should be?)
(QUESTION: before i bottle i add sugar. Do I add sugar to the beer or in another container)

Ok, i get it. I'm am pretty dumb. I am going to get rid of my explanation on how to brew. I will leave my questions in hopes of an answer.

no offense, but I am going to suggest you read up a little more on the procedure - I recommend starting with John Palmer's "How to Brew" - available online (http://www.howtobrew.com/).

There are definitely some flaws in your proposed procedure - or at least in your explanation of them. Read through the first couple of chapters of How to Brew and then come back with questions you still have. and I would probably not pay too much attention to any kit instructions - they are notoriously inaccurate (or at least, they tend to lead you astray)

close, but ... not close. no boiling before adding grain.. never mind. all that procedure mentions almost gives me brain-freeze. like lem says, read up on the procedures a little more

I have read directions and read the stickies. I have some questions.

I understand you boil for 15 to 20 minutes and add the grain.
No. Don't boil. Get a thermometer and bring the temperature to 160 or so. Turn OFF the pot, and add the bag of grain, stirring it well to thoroughly wet the grain. NEVER boil grain, or add grain at a boiling temperature.

You then boil again for 30 minutes and then add some hops and keep boiling for 30 more minutes and add the rest of the hops.
No. Take out the grain bag, and bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, set the timer for 60 minutes and add the first hops. Watch the timer/clock, and add the rest of the hops as directed. Usually, you add hops with 15-20 minutes left and/or 5 minutes left. Follow the recipe, but don't just toss the hops in willynilly based on this "procedure". It's wrong.

I then stir may want to stir the wort for a few minutes and let cool.
Cool the wort by taking the pot to an ice bath in the sink and cool it down to under 80 degrees as fast as you can. Sanitize anything you use to touch the wort, like a spoon or thermometer. Use a sanitizer- it's important.

I then add the wort to my fermenter along with water to reach 5 gallons.
Yes. And use the sanitized thermometer to check the temperature. Don't add the yeast unless you between 60 and 75 degrees.

I add my yeast.
Yes. Then cover it, and put an airlock on it and keep it in a place that is no higher than 68 degrees. A bit cooler is better.

I should now see fermentation in a day or less or more.
Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn't matter.
(HERE is a QUESTION: I am not sure how to use the hydrometer? Do I use it at this point in time? and how do I know what the reading should be?)
You use the hydrometer BEFORE you add the yeast to measure the specific gravity of your cooled finished wort. Stir the wort well (remember- sanitized spoon) and use a sanitized turkey baster to take a sample of the wort out and put it in a tube.

After 10 days to 14 days I should be ready to bottle. (QUESTION: I have to add sugar at this point. Do I add it right to the beer or another container?)
You shouldn't bottle for AT LEAST 14 days. You'll dissolve the sugar in 2 cups boiling water. You add that to a sanitized bottling bucket, then siphon the beer into it (siphon is critical- no pouring!) and use a sanitized bottling wand to fill sanitized bottles.

Now I am ready to bottle and let sit for a couple weeks.

2 questions I have are in orange. Also, did I miss any major steps besides the obvious...Steralize?

Answers in pink.

I am assuming you are doing an extract batch with some steeping grains (Crystal, Chocolate, etc), and not mashing.

I understand you boil for 15 to 20 minutes and add the grain.

No. Grains should never be boiled. Even if you are just steeping or mashing. Grains should be added to approximately 155 F water (150 to 160 F). Steep for 15 to 20 minutes, raise the temperature to 170 F, and remove the grains. If the grains are in a strainer bag (paint bag from hardware store) that makes it easy to remove. If they are loose, you can use a strainer and swirl it around the water/wort to remove most of them; don't worry about small bits left ..... but you will when you get more experienced.

Bring the water to a boil and add the extract. It can be added before you get to boiling. Be careful not to scorch the extract on the bottom of the pan.

You then boil again for 30 minutes and then add some hops and keep boiling for 30 more minutes and add the rest of the hops.

Bring to the boil, boil for 10 minutes and then add the bittering hops. Add the rest of the hops per the recipe.

I then stir may want to stir the wort for a few minutes and let cool.

I then add the wort to my fermenter along with water to reach 5 gallons.

I add my yeast.

No need to stir at the end unless it is to get the last of the hops in suspension. Cool as quick as you can. Use ice water in the sink. Keep the lid on the pot all the while when it is cooling. Add to fermenter, top up with water and add yeast.

(HERE is a QUESTION: I am not sure how to use the hydrometer? Do I use it at this point in time? and how do I know what the reading should be?)
After 10 days to 14 days I should be ready to bottle. (QUESTION: I have to add sugar at this point. Do I add it right to the beer or another container?)

Now I am ready to bottle and let sit for a couple weeks.

2 questions I have are in orange. Also, did I miss any major steps besides the obvious...Steralize?

Don't concern yourself with the hydrometer at the moment. It won't make the beer taste any different. Assume the starting gravity is as noted in the kit.

Depending on the yeast, fermentation temperature it may be done in 10 to 14 days. I usually leave mine at least a month. After 10 days, take a sample and heck the gravity with the hydrometer. Drink the sample, don't put it back. If the gravity reading stays the same for 3 days, it is done. It will improve if you leave it longer, but you can bottle at this point.

To bottle, rack to the bottling bucket/container. Always dissolve the priming sugar in water (boil to sanitize), add the sugar to the whole batch in the bucket and gently stir to mix. Then bottle.

I don't think you have missed anything major.

Good luck.

Hydrometer goes into your wort once you have chilled it down to pitching temperatures.

After you have pitched the yeast let your beer ferment for a while (2 - 4 weeks depending on what you're making) and then check it again.

Whatever kit you're brewing (I assume you're using a kit for your first brew) should have an estimated final gravity. If you're in the ballpark of what the estimated FG is then test it again two days later. If the readings are the same then it's done fermenting.

As far as bottling goes. Boil sugar in a small amount of water. Cover with aluminum foil and let cool. Transfer your fermented beer into your bottling vessel (I use a bucket with a spigot) and add the cool sugar water. GENTLY stir for a few moments, take extra care not to splash it around or get much air in there. Then bottle.

As the first reply said - get yourself a how to homebrew book. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing will work just fine.

On Hydrometer use, I take a sample after the boil when transferring to the fermenter, I just use the tube the Hydrometer came in (after sanitizing everything of course) I make sure the sample is chilled to 60° and float the hydrometer, Note, I filled my hydrometer tube with distilled water to verify proper calibration, I then marked a line after removing the hydrometer at the water mark to avoid an overflow when collecting a sample, mark the reading down and pitch the yeast assuming the wort is at the correct temp to pitch, then I relax for a few weeks and let fermentation take place. I then use a sanitized thief to draw a sample and recheck the gravity, I enjoy my "sample" and repeat in a few days, if the gravity is the same, fermentation is complete, let it sit a few more weeks to settle and clear up a bit. when that is done prepare your sugar for bottling as described in Palmer's book, pour into your bottling bucket and carefully rack your beer onto it being careful not to suck up the sludge on the bottom. the beer going into the bottling bucket should effectively mix the sugar into the beer, bottle, cap and wait 3 weeks for carbing to occur, chill for a few days in the old icebox, pour into a glass and enjoy!

Wow, I get midway through a typed thought, grab a pint o' APA, and the world has replied!

BTW are you in Chi proper or the burbs? I grew up in Hoffman Estates, and worked all over the city for years.

Back