American Lager Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final...end of Keg!!!!

IMAG0128.jpg

That looks excellent! I just stepped up to all grain last week and cannot wait to get this one in the brew kettle! :rockin:

Matthewjscott said:
Does anyone have an extract version of this?

Can't do extract only. Would have to be partial mash. Have to mash corn. I found out the hard way my third or fourth brew ever. It doesn't make awful beer, but its not very good. If you have ever noticed a corn taste in coors, you will notice it 5 fold in an extract with steeping grains recipe with this formula...

I have only brewed twice and both were partial mash. I was looking for a conversion of the base grains given in this recipe.

I have read some posts that talk about using instant grits for the corn portion of the grist. What would be best for a new brewer like myself?

I would try the Corn maze first. Get it right from your Local brew store (LBS). Don't grind it just use it as is in your first 60 mins.

Had very good results in January 2012. 10 gallon batch.
Going to make another 10 gallon batch this weekend.
Thanks OP.

It always makes me happy to see people still brewing this beer and liking the results. Glad folks are enjoying it!

I tried this recipe out. I had my first bottle last night. It was delicious. Can't wait to get home from work and have a few more.

Ben

So we are liking Shadow69 V2.5 recipe on page 5 right? Care to throw in some dark malts to make a Black n Tan clone?

I thought Yuengling's Black and Tan was just a mix of their Porter and their "Premium"? Which brings on a question that I don't know the answer to. Do the do that in the mash (i.e. all the different types of grain) or do they do it post fermentation?

I thought so too (post ferm). But what got me thinking is what if you took a recipe for both styles of beer and put the two recipes together and started it that way from the mash? I.E. add the specialty grains from each type together in the mash and make that your black and tan.

Ignore me, I over complicate things sometimes... :)

snevey said:
I thought so too (post ferm). But what got me thinking is what if you took a recipe for both styles of beer and put the two recipes together and started it that way from the mash? I.E. add the specialty grains from each type together in the mash and make that your black and tan.

Ignore me, I over complicate things sometimes... :)

That's kinda what I was thinking but forgot it was Premium not Lager. I was just trying to get close not clone it. Thought about just making a porter with Pilsner malt as a base and lager it.

Now you got me thinking. Why not just take a stout and lager it? Seems like a lot of work to make a porter and a ale only to mix them together. Just thinking out loud.

Mmmmmm! Yuengling! Discovered this awesome beer a couple years ago while I was in PA gasholing! Love this beer allot it's what I would call a utility beer good for everyday drinking. This may be next on the brew list. Thanks for sharing.

Brewed 11 gallons of this on Sunday and am officially going to Lager it. Recipe I used was as follows:
14# American 2-row
5# Flaked Corn
1.5# Crystal 120
Buttload of rice hulls
1oz Cluster @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 30

Mashed at 150.
OG: 1.052 (better efficiency than expected)
IBU: 18.5
Fermenting with WY2007 (Pilsen Lager) and S-23
Can't wait to see how this turns out as an actual lager.

skeeordye11 said:
Brewed 11 gallons of this on Sunday and am officially going to Lager it. Recipe I used was as follows:
14# American 2-row
5# Flaked Corn
1.5# Crystal 120
Buttload of rice hulls
1oz Cluster @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 30

Mashed at 150.
OG: 1.052 (better efficiency than expected)
IBU: 18.5
Fermenting with WY2007 (Pilsen Lager) and S-23
Can't wait to see how this turns out as an actual lager.

How much, approximately, it a "buttload"? Just so I can get as close as I can...

I fermented this as a lager using Wyeast Bavarian Lager. I used the initial recipe, fermented at 50F for two weeks, and took it up to 65F for a one week diacetyl rest. Lagered at 30F for four weeks. Did a blind tasting with the LHBC at one of our group brews and got several BJCP certified members to give me feedback. Great example of CAP, but dinged on the color.

I did notice that the corn flavor was pronounced at first, but after 28 days lagering, it blended well and gave almost no DMS or vegetal smells/Flavors. Nice beer. Will brew again, but in larger quantities.

I just have a 32oz or so cup? that I use to help measure grain that I filled up, and then rinsed and added to the mash tun. Perhaps buttload was a poor unit of measure. I will try to improve going forward.

BTW- diacetyl rest currently in affect. Lagering to commence shortly. Probably at least a good 4 weeks. Need to take a sample to see how we're looking.

Made my first batch for the winter. Made my first oops. Used wlp 080 which I thought was a larger yeast, turns out its an ale yeast. Will see how it turns out. I know someone asked about using an ale yeast.

Holy crap I am so glad I found this. This will be the second brew i make when I get home. During this deployment I have made quite the list of beers to make and this just jumped to number 1 but it will be the second one i make becuase I already have a stout kit that was free waiting to be made. Thank you!!

A little smoother then the original. Color is a shade darker. The rest seems to be dead on. Close enough to me to be called a clone if not better.

Mike....Mike....Mike.....guess what time it is? Lager time of year.

This year I'm going to sub out the 2# of corn maze for 2# of instant grits.

I accidentally milled 40L crystal malt. Does that mean it will just have a lighter color?

Yes, you may just be making the Yeungling light with 40L Crystal. Still i'm sure it will be good. I messed mine target today, I had to use Marris Otter instead of Munich and missed my OG. Came in at 1.042. Oh well guess i'll have to run another batch after i get to the brew store.

Back