Adding Wort to Primary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I have been reading several books and forums before I start my 1st brew next weekend. Some say to add about your water in the primary before you pour your cooled wort in, others say pour your wort in then add your water?
Does it matter? How do you do it?

full boil if you can if not, it doesn't mater as long as it all gets mixed in. When I first started I froze ~2 gallons of sanitized water. I cut the bottles open and place the ice in the "ale pail" and poured the hot wort right on top then pours more cooled sanitized water on top of that to hit my volume. Then a few good mins whisking to airate before adding the yeast. What ever process works for you go with. RDWHAHB!!:tank:

I think it mixes better if you put the water into the fermenter first (at least most of what you think you'll need), then pour the wort quickly on top of it. How well they mix will have no real effect on the end product, but it will affect your OG reading if they're not combined well.

I usually pour my wort in first, through a strainer and then top off with the chilled spring water. I pour the spring water from about 4 feet above the wort, so it splashes around and airates the wort. Then, pitch the yeast, throw on the the lid and airlock and store.

Back