1 gallon Keg...Anybody seen one of these before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
354b_1.JPG

460b_1.JPG

Just bought two of these on ebay. Nice portable little 8 pint containers.

Has anyone here ever seen 1 gallon kegs before? The auctions said that they are coke tanks, but the liquid side looks like a ball-lock. As for the gas side... I don't know what kind of connections that is. Hoping somebody can help me figure it out. I will be absolutely thrilled if when I get these I can just remove that connection and throw on some regular ball-lock gas side connections.

_

I've spent the last hour looking all over the place and searching for every term and combination of terms I can think of and I can't find anything about a 1 gallon cornelius style keg even existing. I can't even find anything like it on ebay.

When you get those in (I assume you don't have them physically in hand yet...), a decent picture of that fitting as well as a list of any manufacturer markings on the tank would help identify it and the fitting.

It looks like you should be able to take off the fittings that are on it and replace them with standard ball lock fittings. Possibility you might need an adapter if the ball lock fittings don't match the holes on the keg.

There is always the possibility that these are custom and not mass manufactured. Good luck figuring out where the hell they came from. I'm not sure I would have paid that much for them though...

Those things rock. Never seen anything less than 3 gallon - which is what I'd really prefer. It looks like you can probably swap the gas side for a regular ball lock fitting. It's probably worth snatching as many of these as you can.

Congrats, you outbid me on those. :)
I have a handful of these and they are great. Unfortunately you can not just unscrew the current gas in and then screw in a corny gas post.

I'm not sure I would have paid that much for them though...

Honestly didn't think I'd win them both...but I've never seen these before, and wasn't sure that I'd ever see them again so...

Congrats, you outbid me on those. :)
I have a handful of these and they are great. Unfortunately you can not just unscrew the current gas in and then screw in a corny gas post.

What will I need to connect my co2 tank to these?

_

I've seen those before, but they were short, like a corny cut down to 1 gallon. They went for a good price - about $240 for 3. As I recall, they were used for milk shake syrup.

I actually came across 3 of these things. I have them in my basement and was going to ask the advise of the forum as to how I could make these work for a mini homebrew keg. When I get home this evening, I will take a bunch of pictures and post them up.

Nice. I dig that little setup... I'll probably use them more for taking along to a buddy's house instead of filling a growler. So, anybody have any idea what kind of connection is on the gas side? I just got the tracking number for them and I have a week until they arrive. I'd like to get the disconnect that I need before they get here.

_

So I got my kegs today. Took some photos of the gas post. If somebody could tell me what this connection is so I can get a disconnect to get these working I would appreciate it!

PICT0064.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

_

Sure looks like a 1/4" or 3/8" coupler that fitting is screwed into. You sure you can't remove it? If so, then I'd just get the appropriate reducer and put a corny ball lock post on it.

Also, look at mcmaster-carr and browse thru their fittings if you have to.....

the LHBS has a tire filler (like every gas station in the world that he hooks up to his C02 tank and uses tire valves on 2 litre bottles etc to carbonate little bits and pieces. You could do the same thing here.. just put s tire valve in and make a couple for the tire filler and just gas the bottle as you need it.... Ball lock posts are spendy.

If somebody could tell me what this connection is so I can get a disconnect to get these working I would appreciate it!

When I get home this evening, I'll take a look at the fitting that I have, and see if there is a model number, or are any numbers at all on it. The downside to these kegs, as I’m sure you've already noticed, is that the CO2 connection does not have any kind of check valve on it so the kegs cannot be pressurized unless they're constantly hooked up to a CO2 source. I didn't have time this weekend, but next weekend I'm going to spend some time and see if I can't get a ball lock on there. Another issues is that, at least mine, don't have a pressure relief valve in lid to dissipate pressure. I can only assume this was because once the CO2 was disconnected the pressure would dissipate through the fitting.

So I've figured out that the gas side is 1/8" NPT. At first I was looking around for reducers but then I though maybe there was a more simple solution... I don't necessarily need them to be corny gas posts but I'd like to have a post that will hold pressure when disconnected from the keg.

At some point in a long search on the net, I came across these. They are valved and some of them have 1/8" mpt threads, so I could screw them right onto the kegs. This place doesn't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but it looks like I could get 2 valved male thread sockets and 2 non-valved inline plugs for under $12 (plus shipping). What do you guys think?

Maybe I'm just not seeing this correctly, but what is the actual benefit of a 2.5g or 1g keg? That 2.5g looks nice and all, and would be great for half batches, but $120? Wouldn't a simple 5g keg for $30 accomplish the same thing, just fill it half full? Is the only real benefit the smaller size for storage/transportation?

Is the only real benefit the smaller size for storage/transportation?

For me and my uses this is exactly the reason I got two of the 2.5g kegs for Fathers day last year. I then took an Igloo Cooler with wheels and added an external faucet and CO2 Injector (if interested I'll post a pic). They are great for taking to parties, tale gating, camping, you name it.

Exactly..! These are way more portable and they will even fit in my kitchen fridge, and with a portable CO2 rig like this one, they are super portable, and in the Igloo ... nice touch. Portable Paintball CO2 Rig- Lustreking Brewing

Yeah I agree $120 is way too much, if I could get one of these used for $35 trust me I would but it seems that everybody who buys them keeps them forever.

For me and my uses this is exactly the reason I got two of the 2.5g kegs for Fathers day last year. I then took an Igloo Cooler with wheels and added an external faucet and CO2 supply (if interested I'll post a pic). They are great for taking to parties, tail gating, camping, you name it.

Please do post pics.

I am working on a similar portable rig. I plan to use the inexpensive aquarium paintball tank regulator and have two taps.

Still need another 3 gallon keg, though.

I'm either an idiot or not drinking enough as I can't get the pics to show in the post. But here they are attached.

tailgater_inside.jpg

tailgater.jpg

I'm either an idiot or not drinking enough as I can't get the pics to show in the post. But here they are attached.

Yup I did the same thing but with 3 gallon cornies. I used the ice cube cooler with the domed lid. I did not run the co2 to the outside, since I read some other user who did and he worried that Guests would squeeze it unnecessarily. Its best to leave the charger inside where little kids or drunk uncles can't get to it. I am able to fit 2 cornies in mine.

Used are hard to find, I bought a new one from kegconnection for 130, and a used one for 60 from a fellow HBT'r. I like em, alot. Easy to take on the boat too. Perfect for apfelwein batches.

This thread has been dead for a while. Time to bring itback to life!
I'm a small batch brewer looking to get commercial quality beer.
Filtering my beer seemed to be a good starting point.
After realizing i need two kegs and a plate filter i began searching
for the infamous 1 gallon keg. I first came accross this post about 2 weeks ago
after a little bit of Data Mining i found that Williams Brewing carries a 1.75 ball lock keg
Although the 5 gallon cornies are cheaper my apartment can't accomodate the space needed for one let alone two kegs needed for filtering.

I hope this find helps some of you.

Happy Brewing:mug:

That's still almost twice as big as I need for kegging a 1 gallon batch. I'm most worried about wasting the CO2 in all that dead space.

Has anyone yet found such a thing as a stainless steel, 1-gallon keg with ball-lock connections (or at least post threadings for which suitable adapters exist)?

Has anyone yet found such a thing as a stainless steel, 1-gallon keg with ball-lock connections (or at least post threadings for which suitable adapters exist)?

Yes, they make a 1 gallon keg for use with Taylor shake machines. The Taylor part number for the 1 gallon tanks is 045533. Very hard to find used and they sell for around $160 new from a Taylor distributer and then you need to add another ~$30 in parts to convert the gas post to a ball lock.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-new-1-gallon-keg-252682/

Back