Airlock and activity during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NERedneck

Reaction score
This may be a stupid admission but I neglected (not intentionally) to put the water and floater in the airlock after the yeast was pitched. Don't ask but that is what happened.

So, as soon as I noticed it, which was a couple days later I moved it to another carboy and put the airlock on it right this time. Noticing bubbles in airlock still occurring a week later in this 1st(a) fermenter.

Should I be worried? Any help for a novice brewer would be appreciated.

probably not, but no guarantees. if it started fermenting quickly, there would be positive pressure, and you'll be ok. did you use any starter, or a fast-acting yeast?

Probably not a problem. People used to (and still do sometimes) ferment beer in open top crockery with a cheesecloth covering it. In other words the airlock is a safety device not an absolute necessity. Only time will tell for sure. Just relax.

Thank you Lumpher. Yes, I used the Wyeast American Ale liquid yeast. I was worried that I sped up the schedule too much by moving it to another fermenter but there is another thick layer of krausen in the 2nd fermenter, just like the first anti-airlock one.

I am dry hopping right now too, good or bad. So, thanks for the somewhat encouraging words. It actually smells great.

I plan to leave it another week in the fermenter (2 weeks total) then bottle it. If you have any other recommendations, please send them.

Back