I need Sum help with my Sumpin Extra Clone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigers

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just looking for some feedback on a clone recipe I have been working on, "Lagunitas' A Little Sumpin Extra Ale." Im currently in the military and stationed overseas so whenever I see a good looking beer my only chance is to clone it! After much time consulting the web and reading my "how to brew book" I have come up with whats below I dont know if I am on the right track with this so please share all comments! Also do you think I should use a Cal-Ale yeast or Hefe, Im leaning Cal Ale since it is a IIPA but it is also an American Wheat so what do you think?

Mash at 152F, 75% Efficiency
ABV 8.84%, IBU 72.2 (Actual Beer ABV 8.74%, IBU 72.1)

White Wheat Malt---7 LBs
Munich Malt---2.5 LBs
Pilsner Malt---8 LBs

Simcoe---90 Min---1 Oz.

Cascade---10 Min---.5 Oz
Amarillo---10 Min---.5 Oz
Centennial---10 Min---.5 Oz

Cascade---5 Min---.5 Oz
Amarillo---5 Min---.5 Oz
Centennial---5 Min---.5 Oz

Cascade---0 Min---.5 Oz
Amarillo---0 Min---.5 Oz
Centennial---0 Min---.5 Oz

Cascade---Dry--.5 Oz
Amarillo---Dry---.5 Oz
Centennial---Dry---.5 Oz

Hi Guys,

Made a change! I am going to substitute 1.25 oz's of Chinook for my bittering hop addition at 60 mins. Also I will completely remove the Simcoe from the recipe. I am hoping for that grapefruity citrus taste. So even if you have never had "Sumpin Extra" or never ever heard of Lagunitas let me know if you think this will be a tasty beer. I would like some feedback before I brew it! Thanks in advance!

Craigers

Final Change!! I am scrapping the Chinook bittering hops due to my desire to brew with Citra! I am going to use 2 Oz's at 60 mins and then continue with the recipe.

Has anyone used WLP051 Cal Ale V Yeast? And will it handle a beer with a high gravity such as 1.086?

Thanks!

Hey Craig the only thing I think you may want to do is bump down your efficiency a bit in beer tools to about 70% and use that until you get your #'s SG and IBU's again. Perhaps it might be better to bump up the grain to get the conversion we need since we have been a bit low. Just a thought but I agree that recipe sounds delicious who cares if its a clone or not!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I ordered my stuff tonight, so I will be brewing this soon. I'll let you know how it turns out, if anyone else brews this let me know!

Any update on this? I know this thread was years ago, but I'm forever hopeful.

I was searching the web looking at beer stuff (what else is the www good for?!?) and saw a mention of sumpin' extra and thought i'd look for a clone to brew.

It's been so long since Lagunitas released it I can't recall exactly what it tasted like, but I do know that it was good enough that I went back and bought a case of bombers. I can't believe they only brewed it once. Granted, Sumpin' Sumpin' is good, but Sumpin' Extra had that.. well... little sumpin' EXTRA :D

Back