??Sulphite When Racking??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Do you (or should you) add Sulphite each time you rack? I have heard you do this to prevent oxidation. Do you do it when you rack your primary?

Is it necessary before bottling if you are completely fermented with no residual sugar?

Than
Kevin

Many people don't sulfite, but I do. I use one campden tablet per gallon at every other racking. If the cider will be consumed within a year, I wouldn't bother adding any at bottling. With most of my wines, they are at about 12-13% ABV so I like to age them. I do use sulfites in all of my wines, but at the lowest amount I need to preserve them.

Sulfites are a preservative, as well as an antioxidant. Using them at every racking would be too much. If you don't have an SO2 meter (I don't) using them at every other racking would probably still get you to a 50 ppm concentration.

If people do not use sulfites before bottling how do they keep their wine from starting back up when they bottle it (and creating bottle bombs)?

Kevin

If people do not use sulfites before bottling how do they keep their wine from starting back up when they bottle it (and creating bottle bombs)?

Kevin

You wait until fermentation is finished, and don't sweeten the wine unless you are purposely trying to overcome the yeast's alcohol tolerance. If fermentation is completely done, it won't start up again when it's bottled.

Back