Thoughts on this... Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
Here is a recipe that I was thinking about throwing together.

Lets call this Stawberry Blonde

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 lbs. Dry Amber Extract
6 lbs. Honey
1 lbs. Cane Sugar
1 lbs. Molasses
2 oz. Cascade (Whole, 8.8 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 8.8 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
.5 oz. Cascade (Whole, 8.8 %AA) boiled 1 minutes.
5 pounds Strawberries (stage 2)
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham

Notes

Vital Statistics
Original Gravity: 1.101
Terminal Gravity: 1.023
Color: 16.18 SRM
Bitterness: 92.6 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 10.4 %

Should I lighten up on the hops?

This looks more like a recipe for a braggot, a mead made with some malt. Even that won't describe it. There's a whole lot going on here. That's a $hitload of simple sugar.

Are you looking to make a beer or a mead?
Which ingrediant are you looking to showcase?
Is the ABV% a major decider in this recipe?

Giving the recipe was the best thing that you could do. There's been so many "I'm thinking of making a strawberry honey blonde" type of threads that I've read. Let some of the pros on here know what you're looking to accomplish and you'll get some feedback.

I am looking for something strong and balanced with a hint of sweet. Thats why I would add the strawberries at the end of primary fermentation. But, most of all, I want the high alcohol for some kick. I only have one batch under my belt, so, I am unsure of how that amount of hops will taste.

The simple sugars(honey, molasses, cane) will not add much sweetness at all.

This recipe looks like a cidery hangover maker to me. I try to do fruit beers to emphasize fruit. They're usually a little dry but that's what people who like fruit beers appreciate, at least in my experience. I've yet to do a mead or honey beer for that matter, and molasses really has no place in a fruit OR honey beer IMO. Too much going on if you know what I mean.

Try this:

6lbs. wheat or light DME
3lbs. honey
1oz. cascade for 60 min.
.5oz. cascade for 20 min.
5lbs. strawberrys in secondary.

I've found that I like safale05 for my fruit beers. I can't say why, I like Notty too, just my preference.

This will give you the kick you want without the cidery headache. The wheat extract will make a lightly colored, decent bodied, foamy beer after a couple months. I may try this myself. HTH.

Back