Well I made it through surgery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Had 2 herniated disks repaired, 3 vertabrae 'ground' down a bit to make more room and prevent nerves from getting pinched in the future.

This was the first major surgery that I've ever had, so I didn't really know what to expect going into it. The catheter took some getting use to - and I think I speak for all mankind when I say that the pain involved in taking a cath tube out should never be associated with that part of a man's anatomy - it's just wrong to feel that much pain in your pecker.

Everything turned out pretty well though - I was leaving the hospital and going home 30 hours after they started the procedure. I've got about a 6 inch incision at my lower back - complete with staples.

I can't lift anything for than 10 lbs for a while and I'm not sure how long it will be before I get cleared to lift enough to brew again, but hopefully a 2+ months of not being able to brew will be offset by being able to play with my kids and go on walks with my wife without being in pain all the time.

Now I've got 2+ weeks off of work and can't move around very much. Let the post whoring begin!

Well, there are a lot worse things than 2 weeks off of work and not being able to move much. Since you can't brew, I'd suggest catching up on some movies, some video game action and doing plenty of "style research" for when you can return to brewing.

Heal fast!!

I started loading up the DVR a few weeks ago and we joined Blockbuster's online deal where they ship movies next day.

Transformers is very good! I'm watching one off of the DVR now - Three Kings - great flick.

I'm going to work on recipies for my next couple brews, get ingredient orders together, maybe write some music, and hopefully pay for the rest of my kegging setup with profits from online poker.

There are definately worse things than being off of work for 2 weeks and not bring able to move much, but Im going to be bored out of my mind here in another few days.

ohiobrewtus said:
...and hopefully pay for the rest of my kegging setup with profits from online poker.

I love an optimist! Why stop there - if you do well enough, you may never have to get off the couch again!

Wow, that sounds like a rough procedure... grinding down bones can never be pleasant. Glad you made it through okay though, hope the recovery goes well.

Personally I'd grab a stack of books and read all day long. Sampling as many brews as possible sounds like a great plan too, if SWMBO doesn't mind filling a grocery cart with sixers.

Let us know what kind of awesome new recipes you come up with!

Nah, I'd go crazy. I'm the kind of guy that would have to work even if I hit the lotto. I won't stop at making enough to get the rest of my kegging gear though. I still need a Barley Crusher, extra kegs, more carboys - a homebrewer's wish list never ends.

Good luck with your back and the recovery.

I have been dealing with the effects of partial muscle tears, herniated disks and such for years and it sure is an unpleasant experience to say the least.

Since both my father & brother had major surgery on their backs, I've lived with that nagging concern. So far, so good. I have one friend that, after years of pain, got some fractured vertebra replaced with a titanium cage. Came out of the surgery 2 inches taller.

I wouldn't say you can't brew, i'd say you're in definite need of an assistant brewmaster or brewmistress. How's SWMBO's back?

Glad the surgery went well. Hope you don't get cabin fever, but hopefully poker will keep you busy!

Cheesefood said:
I wouldn't say you can't brew, i'd say you're in definite need of an assistant brewmaster or brewmistress. How's SWMBO's back?

I've thought about this, but SWMBO is only 5' 3" and goes about 120. I don't think I'd even be comfortable asking her to move something that probably weighs close to half as much as her.

Good luck on recovery. Considering I haven't touched my PS2 (not 3) in about 4 years, I'd be videogaming my ass off. If not gaming, I'd be reading brewing books and watching tv/movies. Its been too long since I've been off from work and unable to move :mug:

Congrats on the successful surgery! Hope your recovery goes well and your up and moving about soon.

Glad you made it through surgery and you're spirits are up. I hope you have a fast recovery and are back to enjoying your hobbies quickly. Hope you are pain free too.

Jennifer

Glad to see your recovering. I'm thinking we need to send some bottles of homebrew your way to get you through this downtime. :D

Glad to hear you made it through okay. Take it easy on your back for a while, things can get aggravated in weird ways after back surgery. If you get low on homebrew due to lack of brewing, send me a PM and I'll send some down to ya.

Good to hear that everything worked out alright. Hope the recovery goes well, You'll have a lot of time to work out a To-Brew-List.

Cheers

Congrats on the successful procedure.

Now you need a pump or two and a helper with the 5 gallon cornies, buckets, & MLT full of spent grain.

Yuri_Rage said:
ob, glad it went well! Sounds like you need to invest in a pump or two...(evil laugh)

Flyin' Lion said:
Glad to see your recovering. I'm thinking we need to send some bottles of homebrew your way to get you through this downtime. :D

TheJadedDog said:
Glad to hear you made it through okay. Take it easy on your back for a while, things can get aggravated in weird ways after back surgery. If you get low on homebrew due to lack of brewing, send me a PM and I'll send some down to ya.

EdWort said:
Congrats on the successful procedure.

Now you need a pump or two and a helper with the 5 gallon cornies, buckets, & MLT full of spent grain.

First off, thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

Those are some great recommendations. Hmmm.. pumps and a sculpture may have to end up on my list at some point as well :rockin:

If I needed any homebrew I'd take you guys up on your offers. I have 13 batches bottled downstairs, so I think I'm set for a while. Your offers are appreciated just the same though. Just goes to show that HBT is not your run-of-the-mill forum.

You'll have to let me know how the recovery goes. I've got 3 herniated disc and just got refered to Nurosurgery again, I've been putting off surgery as long as I can but the pain is constant now. Was your pain in the back more or in your legs more?

I had pain equally in my back and my (right) leg. I went through a series of epidural cortisone injections done by a neurologist and they helped a little, making the pain slighly less intrusive, but the pain still had enough of an impact on my life that I opted for surgery. So far so good, but I'm still not far enough removed from the surgery to be able to know how much the pain has decreased.

Good to hear you are recovering ncely at home and have homebrew aplenty to help numb any lingering post-surgery pain! Look at it this way: you've got two weeks off and all you have to do is enjoy the turning leaves of these cooler fall days and keep a brew in your hand at all times!

ohiobrewtus said:
I had pain equally in my back and my (right) leg. I went through a series of epidural cortisone injections done by a neurologist and they helped a little, making the pain slighly less intrusive, but the pain still had enough of an impact on my life that I opted for surgery. So far so good, but I'm still not far enough removed from the surgery to be able to know how much the pain has decreased.
I'm hoping to try the epidural next, before committing to surgery.

Congrats on coming through the operation well. Here's to a complete recovery! Do you have a good PT lined up?

If I lived a bit closer, I'd volunteer to come down and lift things for ya on a brew day, but Ann Arbor is a bit far.

e lo said:
If I lived a bit closer, I'd volunteer to come down and lift things for ya on a brew day, but Ann Arbor is a bit far.

A wolverine helping a buckeye. Now that's something.

Good luck with the recovery. :mug:

Back