One line "Ooops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dinbin said:
Turned the valve on the bottling bucket before hooking up the tube. Stared at the beer puddle for 10 sec or so before I realized. :confused: Ooops.

If you haven't done that before, you haven't been brewing long enough. I can clearly remember at least 3 times I've left the damn spigot open. I always tend to walk away for minute too.

Dinbin said:
Turned the valve on the bottling bucket before hooking up the tube. Stared at the beer puddle for 10 sec or so before I realized. :confused: Ooops.

Kinda along these lines.... I took my bottling bucket apart to clean it, forgot to put the inside washer back in, started filling the bottling bucket and beer started flowing out from around the spigot. Made quite a mess and I lost a couple gallons of brew....

Decided to shake the yeast starter to dislodge the yeast from the bottom. Apparently there was some pressure buildup. My kitchen got a yeast shower.

mummasan said:
I usually brew on my patio - but because of rain I brewed in my carport. Burned both my hands attempting to put sparge water in my mash tun. I picked up a pot of water that had been heating up on my propane burner and halfway to the mash tun I realized I forgot to use the potholders...oops

Later during the same brew session I was sanitizing my glass carboy. It had maybe one gallon of water in it. As I held it out to empty the sanitizer it slipped, fell and broke on my driveway. Some glass cut my heel and still have a scar...oops.

To finish my brew, I was walking around with a bloody paper towel around my heel and a plastic bag of ice for the blisters on my hands. The beer turnout out ok...not my best though.

I will never, ever brew in my carport again.
How do you blame the location for these oops? :confused: I think it was to much of this :tank: leading to this :drunk: . :D

Put IC into boiling wort before hooking up hoses. Water left inside the IC from previous brew heated up and spewed forth, slightly burning the little piggy that went to market. Will not be brewing without closed toe shoes in the future.

Started sparging into my keggle, walked away for a few, came back and the driveway was drinking my beer. Guess I should close that valve in the future.

ehhh, the expanding perception of theme here is .....mainly......'I turned around around/walked away/did this while I waited/decided to do that while I waited for this'............'and when I looked back.........' !!

MANNN, one thing at a time, one thing at a time!:mad: :mad:

the worst thing i ever did was prime 3 batches of brew with Briess wheat DME without testing it first. they all took a very long time to carbonate and tasted strange and too sweet. They're all being dumped over the next couple of weeks as i need the bottles for other batches.

I smacked my yeast pack 30 seconds after witnessing a costly Brett Farve interception. Yeast facial. :mad:

I forgot to dump the 6oz of one step out of the bucket I use to transfer to my carboy with my last batch. Then I transferred it to my carboy and forgot to dump the 6oz of one step out of the carboy as well.

I guess I had way too much to drink that night!

To my surprise, that batch actually turned out very well

I dropped a full carboy on my foot while moving it to my fermentation chest. Just about broke my foot, but didn't break the carboy. I did spill some beer from it though. Ended up going to the emergency room to get x-rays.

First time using my IC I dropped it in the wort to sanitize. There was a strange burning smell but I didn't think much of it. 20 minutes later there was water going in but none coming out- then a loud POP and hot water sprayed everywhere.

Refridgerator shelving came apart on me while trying to remove full carboy.

Carboy shattered. On my big toe.

Toe swelled up and toenail turned black. I had to drill a hole in my toenail to ease the swelling. My toenail is still smurf blue, and bound to come off any day now.

The good news is I still have ten toes. It could have been a disaster.

Dropped an empty carboy this past weekend on my foot.
I had a little sanitizer on my fingers which made them slippery, in my brilliant mind (or my laziness) I thought I would make it outside, but I didn't.

Fell on my foot, broke my toe, then broke my carboy.

Threw in the whole yeast starter with a bit too much excess liquid. Not really sure how much over 5 gallons I went. Messed up the attempt to use Beer Smith to check my true gravity. Thank GOD for hydrometers!!!!!

Didn't think I needed a blow-off tube, as I was fermenting at the low end of the yeast optimum range. Air lock plugged up, blew out of the carboy and all over the wall and ceiling of the bathroom.

Fortunately, I was able to clean the whole thing up before SWMBO discovered the mess.

Attention all Better Bottle users. Don't make the same mistake I did. I spent 45 minutes today trying to get the #10 stopper out of my Better Bottle. I pushed it in very far, and it took a semi-miracle to get that bastard out of there. In the ensuing battle between man and stuck stopper, I dropped an allen key into my beer (****!) My only hope is that, because it's a 8.5% IPA with 2 oz. of hops for dryhopping added that I didn't entirely **** the batch up.

Back