Cowbrau eBIAB brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgo

Reaction score
I literally haven't brewed in the 2 years since we moved into this old house. Any work has been done on the secret hidden mancave (See build thread here ) or on the 1000 different things needing done on a 130 year old house.

My plan was a single tier electric set up in the basement. Because of space and getting jazzed over reading about BIAB brewing, I scaled it back to an eBIAB build.

The basement is a typical old limestone foundation space. I first started by sealing and painting the walls and floors:

014-1.jpg

Blue floor and clean white walls.

The brew area is an alcove with a window, next to easily accesible water lines and a floor drain. I tore out all of that dangly plumbing:

015.jpg

Because it's an old house the ceiling is bristling with pipe (probably wrapped in asbestos), duct and a mishmash of wiring. The easiest thing to do was to use 2x4 firring, even though that will lower the ceiling to about 6 foot 8.

Today I ran the 220 line (my brewmation control panel has a built in GFCI) and the lines for the vents and pump outlet. You can see them over on the far back and right walls.
017.jpg

I also ran several lengths of copper for my tub sink. I went with ball valves up high to use with RV hoses. Yep, my brewery is right next to the bathroom:
019.jpg

To end the day I wired and hung two bathroom vents. Last week I spent an hour going through 2 masonry bits boring through the rock foundation to install a vent. The blood on the beam indicates how sharp those vents are:
020.jpg

Verified that the plumbing didn't leak and that the electrical worked and called it a day. Left to do is install the ceiling (with a rope ratchet pully install as well), hang cement board and drywall, paint, build a brew stand, and test the ekeggle. I've got 200 pounds of grain and several pounds of hops crying to fill the empty 4 tap keezer.
018.jpg

Hopefully next weekend I'l be able to update with a finished build!

The basement was a bit too dark so I installed a couple more ceiling lights, those along with the fan light really brightens up the space.

Still have to install and plumb the tub sink, but that's just a matter of cutting pvc to fit down into a floor drain. Spent today building the brewstand, installing a couple lights, putting a ceiling in the bathroom so my daughters don't go, ewww gross, spider webs, and hanging my Brewmation controls.

Here's the set up. Above are two vent fans, one with a light:
002.jpg

I think the ceiling is too low for the rope ratchet to be effective. Dang. I can make the stand shorter but I wanted to be able to gravity feed into the carboy. The electrical isn't too pretty, but it's safe and it works:
003.jpg

The tub sink will fit right next to the brewstand.
004.jpg

Should finish up everything this week and with any luck, brew the first batch this weekend! It'll be a wheat, all to be bottled and given to my buddy who helped with the build.

just get rid of the turnbuckle on your pulley and make a slightly larger hole in the ceiling. That might get you the height you need.

After five brews on the new rig, condensation is an obvious problem. I thought two bath fans with 100 cfm would be sufficient, but I'm getting crazy drippage.

Here's the new solution: a cone hood with a 700 cfm hydroponic fan that sits over the keggle. It's about 2 inches larger in circumference than the keggel so if the odd drip does occur, it'll be outside the pot

005.jpg

The fan is mounted on the other side of the wall in the bathroom and vents directly outside. I wired it to a switch.

003-2.jpg

Another view:

004-1.jpg

It's not copper, just rustoleum over sheet metal. Can't wait to try it out next weekend. It's got a lot of suck, should work great. I can detach it for the mash, just unchain it and pull from the wall. I put plenty of sheet metal screws into for rigidity. The stand is on casters so I can just wheel it out a couple inches for hop additions.

pvtschultz said:
Did you buy or have someone make the cone?

Oh, and how has that keg coozie worked for you?

It was fabricated at a sheetmetal shop. Only 100 bucks, about in line with the cost of a stove hood. The fan was 120 though. Also had about 20 bucks in elbow fittings.

The keg koozie isnt working out for me, but i like the way it looks. Since it has a lot of elasticity yet to give i think I'll use it to hold some wool insulation in place and throw an electric blanket over the top of it all. If that doesn't hold temps i dont know what would.

What are the finished dimensions on that exhaust hood? Thanks.

It's 24 inches wide, rising 18 inches to an 8 inch opening. I had to use a reducing elbow to get down to the standard 4 inch pipe for the rest of the assembly. It's made from 24 gauge sheetmetal, so it's a bit more sturdier.

Back