Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stanghead, I see you have a controller on your fridge, is there a freezer compartment, does it control the freezer too or did you bypass it? just wondering
JNye - there is a freezer there but it's not two separate compartments, there is only one controller so i figured that the freezer temp controls the temp of the whole unit.

3051-before-paint.jpg

3052-lid-being-painted.jpg

3054-finished.jpg

OMG I did it! I looked at every page! It took me about a week and that was me primarily looking at the pictures!

I just picked up a sweet fridge for $50 that will hold 9 corny kegs if you put the tanks outside or 6-7 cornies with everything internal. It's an all stainless steel comercial grade fridge or freezer (often called Milk fridge) as it is typically found in a school. They run about $1500 new so the lord was looking out for me here!

My plans are to start with 4 taps (1 being Nitro), build a top tower, and use all high quality parts like Perlick 525, 575, and all the stainless steel I can get. Hopefully high quality and low maintenance and I will only have to build it once. Everything comes in Wednesday.

Now I don't see guys talking about how much they spent and probably for good reason as I spent much more than I wanted to. The breakdown for the keg blueprint and price (even compared to LHBS prices) can be emailed to you if you want just let me know via personal message. In the end I spent about $1000 for everything including shipping and gas. I managed to save about 30% or $480 for buying online (instead of my LHBS) and about 42% or $700-750 if you include having to go out and buy a freezer/fridge for around $250-300.

As much as I love buying locally, it’s pretty hard to justify spending almost $500 more. The LHBS gets all my beer supply business anyway which let me say adds up quick too.

I will post WIP pics next week and I agree HBT needs to hand out awards as some of these kegerators are works of art! Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Banker said:
Blueblood, How did you run the taps/lines through the lid? I'm getting a 14.8 cube Whilrpool and that looks like something I would like to do.

I'll have to take pics so you can see, there was a recess in the plastic backing on the lid and I just dremeled out a section and ran the lines to the back of the lid!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Dashingmad said:
OMG I did it! I looked at every page! It took me about a week and that was me primarily looking at the pictures!

I just picked up a sweet fridge for $50 that will hold 9 corny kegs if you put the tanks outside or 6-7 cornies with everything internal. It's an all stainless steel comercial grade fridge or freezer (often called Milk fridge) as it is typically found in a school. They run about $1500 new so the lord was looking out for me here!

My plans are to start with 4 taps (1 being Nitro), build a top tower, and use all high quality parts like Perlick 525, 575, and all the stainless steel I can get. Hopefully high quality and low maintenance and I will only have to build it once. Everything comes in Wednesday.

Now I don't see guys talking about how much they spent and probably for good reason as I spent much more than I wanted to. The breakdown for the keg blueprint and price (even compared to LHBS prices) can be emailed to you if you want just let me know via personal message. In the end I spent about $1000 for everything including shipping and gas. I managed to save about 30% or $480 for buying online (instead of my LHBS) and about 42% or $700-750 if you include having to go out and buy a freezer/fridge for around $250-300.

As much as I love buying locally, it’s pretty hard to justify spending almost $500 more. The LHBS gets all my beer supply business anyway which let me say adds up quick too.

I will post WIP pics next week and I agree HBT needs to hand out awards as some of these kegerators are works of art! Thanks for all the ideas guys!

This isn't universally true. I saved considerable money buying straight from my lhbs. It depends on your store so if you are looking to build, check around.

First off: :off:

I'm happy to see that my LHBS is starting to stock kegging parts. While they don't have everything I would have needed for my original conversion, a recent upgrade was cheaper through them than online+shipping.

And to redeem myself:
keezerfinal.JPG

appears to be a YATC 2
http://screwdecaf.cx/fckit.html
You can buy it as a kit or pre built

It looks cool but the ebay aquarium temp controller is far cheaper :mug:

hrm... agreed I have less than $40 each into my two ebay controllers, but they don't look as bad ass as that YATC2 thats for sure.

EdIT: seems like he's got all you need to build that why try and reinvent the wheel. already cut clear acrylic with stand offs etc.
seems like if one knew where to source the parts for the YATC2 they could build it for probably $20 cheaper possibly. im just guessing he's got a decent profit built into that $60 price tag.

-=jason=-

hrm... agreed I have less than $40 each into my two ebay controllers, but they don't look as bad ass as that YATC2 thats for sure.

seems like if one knew where to source the parts for the YATC2 they could build it for probably $20 cheaper possibly. im just guessing he's got a decent profit built into that $60 price tag.

-=jason=-

As it should be; I hope your time is still worth something.

Here are a few of mine that I just finished up a couple of weeks ago. Made my collar to the lid, so it will lift out of the way. Added chalkboard paint to keezer and fermentation chamber.

ForumRunner_20110314_092839.jpg

ForumRunner_20110314_092917.jpg

ForumRunner_20110314_093010.jpg

ForumRunner_20110314_093043.jpg

I felt so inadequate with only 5 beers on tap. And I was thinking my keezer holds 8 carboys.....

Actually now that i have all ball locks i can hold 9. Currently 9 kegs in there, 8 with beer and one with water(the brass tap). That is just a place holder until I get a Stout faucet. The plan is to add the stout faucet and move the water to one of the sides for 8 beers and one water on tap. The other thing I may do is make Kombucha and put it on tap. I had some on tap yesterday and it was very good. Figuring since I can't drink beer before work, pouring myself a nice frosty Kombucha in the morning could make up for that.

P1010834.jpg

P1010845.jpg

P1010837.jpg

After shamelessly stealing ideas for mine from many of the ones here, I am finished. I used a Kenmore 8.8 that Sears had on sale a few weeks ago, and was able to fit 5 cornys and a 20lb tank in it. It could go to 6 if I wanted the tank out, but it's nice having it all contained.

HOLY ****!!!!

how long are you beer lines, what temp do you keep the keezer, what psi do you have the lines set to?

-=Jason=-

After shamelessly stealing ideas for mine from many of the ones here, I am finished. I used a Kenmore 8.8 that Sears had on sale a few weeks ago, and was able to fit 5 cornys and a 20lb tank in it. It could go to 6 if I wanted the tank out, but it's nice having it all contained.
3119-kenmore-8-8-keezer.jpg

3118-inside-kenmore-8-8-keezer-5-corneys-20-lb-co2-6-corneys-alone.jpg

Can't see your pics for some reason

guys when I was a regular member I was able to see about 50% of the photos posted. now that I have donated so the site I can see 100% of the photos posted.

-=Jason=-

IrregularPulse said:
And what size are they! They look huge! Which would be why they're so long.

They are 1/4" id poly tubing from Home Depot. I started with 10 feet, but was having foaming issues, so I went up to 25' per line. I run around 8-12 psi.

I'm still having foaming issues now, but I've tracked it down to my freezer being 15-20 degrees difference from top to bottom, so all of the co2 is coming out of suspension just before the taps. probably what my issue was before, but I don't feel like taking it all back out now.

Don't know why the photos aren't showing up, they're on my album here.

I'm pretty sure that only paid members can view pictures stored in the website's album. Host them on Photobucket or something and everyone can see them.

I've discovered that images stored in members albums aren't always visible - i.e.: ...homebrewtalk.com/members/phreaky/albums/my-pics/3119-kenmore-8-8-keezer.jpg

If you upload them to your gallery however that seems to work better. To do this, go to your profile page, then click "PHOTOS" (near left side of page) then click "UPLOAD PHOTOS" (near right side of page).

They are 1/4" id poly tubing from Home Depot. I started with 10 feet, but was having foaming issues, so I went up to 25' per line. I run around 8-12 psi.

I'm still having foaming issues now, but I've tracked it down to my freezer being 15-20 degrees difference from top to bottom, so all of the co2 is coming out of suspension just before the taps. probably what my issue was before, but I don't feel like taking it all back out now.

sounds like you need some sort of fan in there to circulate the cold air from the bottom up to the top.

-=Jason=-

sounds like you need some sort of fan in there to circulate the cold air from the bottom up to the top.

-=Jason=-

That's the plan for this weekend. Just have to get some parts to put it together.

The pics should be fixed now, loaded them in the other gallery.

I just bought this - it's a 1984 GE 10.6 Cu Foot beauty!

Going to cut into it as soon as my stuff arrives from Kegconnection hopefully on Tuesday.

Back