reusing yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I have just started resusing yeast, ive got an alt and a oktoberfest ale fermented from some 1007 german ale. Last brew i filled a speghetti jar about half full of of the leftover yeast and pitched the brew on the rest of the cake. The saved yeast has been in the fridge for two weeks.

I am debating whether i should:
1)pitch the yeast i saved in the fridge
or
2)reuse the cake from the second generation
ferment.

I dont want to just pitch on the cake again because i want to santize my fermenter, so i was planning on transfering some of it to a santized bottle or jar and then pitch from that.

Which would you Guys suggest?
(im sure someone will suggest make a starter but im not set up to do that right now)

Not sure what gravity brews you made with that yeast but, as long as sanitation is not an issue use the cake.....If your brews were big brews I would'nt use the cake use the one in the ice box. Using the cake would be easier for sure......I would'nt make a starter if you decide to use the yeast in the icebox, let it warm up and pitch it. I have used yeast in this manner that were 2months old.....

Yes, I'd say use the cake. This yeast is healthier and should give you a better fermentation.

Kai

Back