The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, glad to see someone reads those things. :mug:

I dig 'em!

Bad news USMNT fans, Aron Johansson is going to be out for a few months after having hip surgery to correct some nerve issues. Johansson had scored 2 goals in 6 appearances for his new Bundesliga club, Werder Bremen. More likely than not he'll be out for the USMNT's first round of qualifying games.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/10/28/aron-johannsson-injury-usmnt-werder-bremen
Yeah I think that news came out a month or so ago. Glad it was successful. Nerve surgery must be difficult.

Well, news was that he was having nerve pain issues, but they were trying to treat it. From my own experience with nerve issues (I had a Morton's Neuroma), they probably started with cortizone shots (most nerve pain is the result of swelling) and when that didn't work they removed the nerve. The surgery and recovery (in my experience) wasn't too tough, but it's not fun and I can only imagine it if it was my hip instead of my foot and I was a pro athlete expected to be back on the field to earn my keep.

Jesus finally I thought for a second it was groundhogs day and the Galaxy were just going to pull it out because the Sounders couldn't put them away.

Seattle's sigh of relief could be heard in LA I'm sure.

It still hurts. Not to take anything away from Seattle, but LA beat themselves. Every goal conceded was due to a mistake in the back. They had no midfield control. Gerrard was damn near useless... seriously, why was he not taken out in the first sub? (And for Baggio... there were a few able youngins who would have been a better choice). Lletget was doing really well and keeping Seattle on their toes. Gerrard was giving away balls in the midfield and being unproductive on the attack.

Gordon should have come on sooner. Ricketts has been terrible the last couple months, Rowe has proven to be more capable.

And Bruce. I don't get it... typically he's tactically sharp. But he was sitting back, not engaging, and not making smart moves and adjustments. He was noticeably out-coached by Sigi. I swear it's almost like Gerrard has to be left in for publicity.

But still, congratulations to the Sounders. You deserved it more.

If a big European club comes in with a huge offer for Sebastian Giovinco, will MLS sell him?

I'd venture that they wouldn't. He's high profile, incredibly talented, and can do the impossible of getting TFC into the postseason.

The offer would likely have to be huge and I don't think he would be offered a bigger salary than MLSE are giving him.

I'd venture that they wouldn't. He's high profile, incredibly talented, and can do the impossible of getting TFC into the postseason.

The offer would likely have to be huge and I don't think he would be offered a bigger salary than MLSE are giving him.

I think that's the big thing. He's making what 7 million now? That would make him the second highest paid player in Serie A if he returned to Italy.

Aside from big boy teams he would be similar in almost every other league. If he was to go to Everton, he would be their 3rd highest paid player behind Lukaku and Mirallas. Same basic boat with Spurs as well.

I just can't see it happening right now.

If a big European club comes in with a huge offer for Sebastian Giovinco, will MLS sell him?

I think it depends on exactly how big that offer is, he's currently making $7 million a year (plus bonuses and the like), making him the highest paid Italian player in the world. If someone is going to come knocking, it's going to be someone in England or La Liga with an absolutely ridiculous pile of cash. Personally, I doubt anyone is going to offer enough cash to make the buyout worth it to MLS or Giovinco.

So, in case you missed it, Jermaine Jones lost his damn mind again as New England was eliminated from the MLS playoffs by DC United.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/10/28/red-card-jermaine-jones-recieves-red-card

Jones the Revs have some valid complaints about the refereeing in the match, Juan Agudelo actually had to come off after Bobby Bosworth did something, the cameras didn't catch what, to the young striker's leg. According Juan Agudelo Boswroth delivered a knee to him which should have been a straight red. Both Bosworth and Jones are likely going to have to speak to the disciplinary committee, I wouldn't be shocked to hear Boswoth has to miss a playoff game or two or to see Jones receive an expanded suspension, probably 3 games on top of the red card, next season. In any case, with the Revs eliminated, it's time to see how they did.

Why does this matter to the USMNT?
Jermain Jones, well-known hot-headed central midfielder for the USMNT plays for the revolution, Juan Agudelo is a young striker with a lot of potential who already has some caps and goals for the red, white and blue. Lee Nguyen has gotten a few looks from the USMNT and there's a host of young talent on the Revs that could someday play for the USMNT.

How are they out?
A contentious loss to DC United in DC after a disappointing finish to their season saw them barely squeak into the playoffs.

What went wrong?
In a certain sense, not much necessarily went wrong for the Revs, this is the team they are with the current salary and support they have. Last year for the Revs was an anomaly, Lee Nguyen had the best season of his life and his since returned to his average, Jermain Jones came in strong after not seeing meaningful club minutes in months, but an early season injury and age are catching up to him, Juan Agudelo continues to do awesome things (see: his bicycle kick goal in the loss) but only on rare occasions. Injuries throughout the year have tripped the Revs up, but there can be zero such complaints about injuries in their last game, outside of the cheap shot to Agudelo all of their usual starters were healthy. The biggest assistance this club needs is the sort that can't, and won't, come from coaches or players, but instead must come from ownership; you either need a pile of money to get good talent and/or a smaller and leaner pile of money to develop young talent. Bob Kraft doesn't seem that interested in doing either of those things.

What went right?
Bobby Shuttleworth continues to be rock solid at keeper. The defense, overall, continued to be solid. When healthy and not out of his damn mind, Jones is still a very good center mid.

What do they need to do improve?
Ultimately, the improvement for the Revolution needs to come from ownership, and quite frankly, ownership seems to view the Revs as more of a side investment or hedge bet than a real team worthy of investment. Most of the youth talent on this team has come through the draft or trades and the New England academies simply aren't that great. The team needs some investment, something more than a single designated player and some half-assed academies, if they ever truly want to win the cup, I can't see that changing until ownership changes though.

So, the champions have left the building, the Galaxy were eliminated for the first time since 2009 in the first stages of the MLS playoffs by the Seattle Sounders. How did the champs fail to repeat? Well that's complicated, and this will probably be my longest post of this nature this year, let's see if we can parse it out.

Gyasi Zardes plays as a left winger/striker for the USMNT, Sebastian Lletget is also American and may see a call up sometime soon if he continues to play like he has for the Galaxy. Omar Gonzalez and Robbie Rogers have both featured for the USMNT in the past and could again. LA tends to attract a lot of attention from Klinsmann as they are pretty much in his back yard.

How are they out?
A spirited loss to the Sounders in Seattle, possibly in the best game of this years playoffs.

What went wrong?
LA really had two different seasons this season, pre trade window and post trade window. Pre trade window, the Galaxy were a deeply wounded beast, Donovan was gone, Keane was recovering from surgery and Marcelo Savras, their previous playmaker, was now playing for Colorado. LA played old school MLS football during this time, eking out points by stuffing the midfield and countering with Gyasi Zardes and young gun Bradford Jamieson. Keane would eventually return and get back to his goal scoring ways, but it simply wasn't enough.

Post trade window, the Galaxy were all offense. Robbie Keane, Giovanni Dos Santos and Steven Gerrard formed a nice central offensive triangle, while wingers Gyasi Zardes and Sebastian Lletget darted in to either be goal dangerous or to supply crosses into dangerous areas for Keane and Dos Santos. Offensively, post trade window Galaxy were a scary machine to face. Unfortunately, to really fully utilize an offensive setup like that, you need a strong central defensive trio, and Juninho, Gonzalez and his partner at central defense (usually Leonardo), were not that. Juninho really isn't a true Central Defensive Midfielder, he's a two-way midfielder, when he was partnered with Marcelo Savras last year that was fine, Savras was also a two-way midfielder, albeit more offensively minded; but Steven Gerrard is not that sort of midfielder (his excellent bicycle kick save aside). Gonzalez, on the other hand, hasn't had a great year; he's made a lot of defensive mistakes like the ones we saw in Seattle last night, but he hasn't gotten much help from his central defensive partners either. Perhaps the biggest nail in the defensive coffin for LA was the mid season loss of Jaime Pinedo, who demanded more cash of the club after it had spent a lot of cash on big acquisitions and paying down Omar Gonzalez's salary, LA had to scramble to find a keeper and went with Donovan Ricketts, five years ago Ricketts won a cup with LA, but the big man hasn't aged very well since then. All of these defensive issues combined to sink the Galaxy in their playoff game.

What went right?
Pretty much everything offensively. Robbie Keane continued to be a goal machine, Giovanni Dos Santos is a very similar style of striker and got some goals and assists of his own, Llettget and Zardes were a deadly winger combo and Steven Gerrard had a few goals and assists of his own. Alan Gordon continued to be a super-sub holding forward.

This is going to be a challenging offseason, there's no two ways about it for the former champs and the biggest challenge is to first keep as much of the talent they have now as they can. In order to bring in both Gerrard and Dos Santos, the Galaxy had to pay down Omar Gonzalez salary using the new TAM system, since it was only for half of the year the Galaxy didn't need to pay down the full amount, but they'll have no such luxury in the coming season. Omar Gonzalez is due another $1.2 million next season, he's easily the highest paid defender in MLS, and if LA want to keep him they need to come up with a wallet-straining $800,000 of allocation cash; TAM and regular allocation money can't be combined, further complicating matters. MLS voodoo economics mean that we can't see exactly how much allocation money LA has in the bank, but given that they settled for Donovan Ricketts as a keeper we have to assume the answer is: not much. In order for LA to get the sort of allocation money they need, they'll need to sell off players, fortunately Gyasi Zardes is rumored to have gotten interest from European clubs, which could give LA a lot of the money they'll need. Other players that might get traded for significant cash could include Robbie Rogers, Sebastian Llettget and Bradford Jamieson IV. But LA may not want to keep the towering central midfielder, he's had the sort of season a $1 million man shouldn't have in MLS, two years ago Europe was whispering sweet nothings to the American but not so much now, it could be that LA will tell Omar to accept a lesser contract or take a walk.

Beyond the issues of keeping the band together, LA need a better goalkeeper and that should be their #1 aim this offseason because Ricketts is barely better than a cardboard cutout right now. A true center defensive midfielder should be #2 on the wish list if LA wants to keep running this 5 offensive player setup, and a replacement for Leonardo and/or Gonzalez at central mid should be a very close #3 and 4.

So, I've got some time during halftime of Portland vs Kansas City, so let's break down the $20 million pile of fail that is Toronto.

Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore, arguably two of the USMNT key players, both play for Toronto. Beyond that, not much else is here as far as American talent (not surprising given this is a Canadian club).

How are they out?
Montreal Impact made them look silly during the knock out game with a 3-0 thrashing.

What went wrong?
Defense! Defense! Defense! While Michael Bradley is played as a central defensive midfielder by Toronto, he can't do it all, and pretty much everyone behind him is garbage. Okay, that's not entirely true, Justin Morrow does good work. Chris Konopka has slow reflexes, Jackson is a fouling machine and Williams and Kantari are so easily split by strikers that I think we should call them "Kit-Kat". But defense doesn't just start at the back, Osorio and Findley pretty much don't defend, and Cheyrou is more likely to foul than execute a great tackle.

What went right?
GIOVINCO! Seriously, people questioned the signing that made the Italian forward the best paid Italian in the world, but it has definitely paid off and every MLS fan knows who the "Atomic Ant" is. Beyond the presumptive MVP, Michael Bradley had another good season and Altidore, when healthy, scored great goals. While Osorio and Findley aren't great on defense, they are great on offense and they contributed to Toronto's prodigious scoring, they came in second in goals scored only after the New York Red Bulls.

I think they need to start with finding a replacement right back for Jackson, he's too big of a foul concern. Beyond that central defense needs to be better and Konopka's replacement would be third on my list. A team spending this much cash shouldn't be this average, and Toronto really should already have had set up a great academy, but so far they haven't really gotten any great performances out of youth players, and they've even mishandled many of the players they've gotten. Stefan Frei with the Sounders is having a massively great season after being let go by Toronto sheerly because they couldn't properly train him and help him recover from his previous injuries. Ultimately, Toronto's dysfunction runs throughout the organization and until that is fixed Toronto will continue to struggle.

Damn good write up about LA. It's incredibly accurate. The only things I'd say in contrast is Lletget is already in the making to be a senior national teamer, having played for the U-18's, U-20's, and U-23's. Also, Omar actually had a DP worthy season... it's just that everybody on the team except Keane, Lletget, and Juninho played absolutely terrible since September.

EDIT: And I think the worst part is that they completely fell apart in September. Their goals across all competitions were 23-6 in August.... are you f***ing kidding me? That includes away matches, which they have been notoriously bad in this season (2 away wins all year. Pathetic.) But then they lost to San Jose (only loss in that block) and I guess that was demoralizing enough to make them forget how to play.

After that, in October, they went 7-12 against all competition with zero wins.

Tale of two teams for sure, with very little changes to the Starting XI happening in the last two months.

I agree that Omar Gonzalez has had a good season, a DP worthy season...I don't think he was $1.2 million plus bonuses good though, but then again it's hard to judge a center back in isolation from the rest of the defense.

Sporting Kansas City lost to Portland in an absolutely insane penalty kick shootout, seriously if you haven't seen the highlights go watch them, I'll wait. You back? Great! Let's see why things shook out this way for them.

Graham Zusi is a former USMNT player who could see some play time again, Matt Besler is frequently in camp as a left center back. If you're a Klinsmann hater and/or a little delusional, you think Feilhaber should be in the USMNT lineup. Beyond that, there's a smattering of possibly good young talent.

How are they out?
Did I mention the insane 11 rounds of penalty kicks already? Go watch the highlights again!

What went wrong?
At the start of the season, injuries were a big factor. Graham Zusi had surgery in the offseason and various other members of the team picked up some knocks and issues over the season at inopportune times. But no such injury complaints apply to this last game, only their keeper was out in a team otherwise at full strength. When Sporting KC last won the title, they played a bruising, violent and frankly dirty style, but with the times changing in MLS Vermes recognized that style wouldn't work anymore. Instead, Vermes has opted for a high-press style, relying on Matt Besler to bolster the defense to avoid any major issues defensively. The problem with a high press is that you need high stamina, fast players since, if the ball gets turned over everyone needs to get back in a hurry, quite frankly Sporting KC doesn't have a lot of players of that type. If Sporting were still in the east, this tactic probably would have worked, but the west has too many cagey strikers who will ride the back line and make you pay and too much youth and speed compared to the east.

What went right?
Benny Feilhaber had a monstrously good season, probably his best ever, and if Sebastian Giovinco hadn't had an even better season Feilhaber might be in the running for MVP. Krisztian Nemeth, in his first year for MLS, had a very good season, scoring 10 goals in 28 games with 23 starts. Dom Dwyer had a good, but not great (like last season) year. Matt Besler continues to be solid.

Quite frankly, the high press isn't working for Sporting KC, they need to change tactics. I think that, if we're looking at their current roster, a much more effective idea would be a defensive, possession-oriented soccer not unlike what Sounders FC have done this season. Keep possesion, work your way towards the final third and try to catch your opponent out of position with a darting run from Dwyer or crafty tricks from Nemeth. Beyond that, some better left and right backs couldn't hurt.

So, we now have our "round of four" set for the MLS playoffs. In terms of my predictions last time, I was 50% right on who won it...which is no better than a coin flip and I didn't get a single scoreline right :(. That said, maybe these two game home and away series will go better for my predictions! No scorelines to guess this time, hah!

New York Red Bulls vs DC United
The Atlantic Cup rivalry has come back to the MLS playoffs once again, the oldest all-MLS rivalry in the league should produce a game that will be fun to watch for everyone involved. DC United haven't played the greatest football this season, and if it weren't for Bill Hamid I don't think they'd be anywhere close to getting into the playoffs, but credit to United, they did win the game in front of them against the Revs that I thought they would lose by utilizing good counter attacking soccer. I'm going to bet against the red and black again though, because quite frankly, NYRB are the best coached team in MLS this season, hands down. I was skeptical of Jesse Marsch when he took over for Mike Petke, given his results with Montreal, but Marsch has taken a much leaner NYRB salary and turned it into one of their best seasons yet, getting good results out of both veterans and newcomers alike. The New York Red Bulls are playing a possession oriented style as well, which usually is the bane of counter attacking teams like United. Anything less than NYRB series win would be shocking. Winner: New York Red Bulls

Columbus Crew vs Montreal Impact
This match up is the spear vs the shield, Columbus Crew are one of the most high flying attacking teams in MLS, while the Impact are one of the best defensive teams in the east. Unlike Toronto, Columbus' great attack and poor defense has less to do with poor personnel and more to do with a chosen style. When Columbus attack, they swarm like the bees their uniforms kind of make them look like, virtually the entire midfield and both wing backs will get forward practically simultaneously in an all out attempt to get the ball in the net; when the ball gets turned over players race to swarm their opponent and get the ball back. It's an exhausting tactic, a sort of high press counter attack, and when it works Columbus get lots of goals...but when it doesn't work they get pulped. The Impact, by comparison, while officially playing a 4-3-3 that should be more offensive, are really playing a possession oriented narrow style. The Impact will hold onto the ball, and when the time is right the three forwards will move towards goal at once after lulling opponents. With a striker like Drogba, this style works extremely well, as the veteran forward just needs one look at goal to get the ball in the net. This is a tough one to call, but I'm giving the edge to Montreal because well, Drogba. Winner: Montreal Impact

Vancouver Whitecaps vs Portland Timbers
The Timbers are pumped about their great escape, but Vancouver are a far bigger mountain to climb. Sporting KC's high press is a poor choice against the swift Darlington Nagbe, but Vancouver are probably the very best counter attacking team in MLS, and their swift young players will make a meal of the older Portland back line. The Whitecaps won the overall, three game series against Portland this year, with 1 win and 2 draws, so this season's history also seems to back up my observations. Add in that Portland will be exhausted in the first match, and I'm giving the clear edge to Vancouver. Winner: Vancouver Whitecaps

FC Dallas vs Seattle Sounders FC
Easily the hardest match up to judge of the four. Looking back on the season, Seattle beat FC Dallas 3-0 at home and tied 0-0 on the road, but Seattle had that 3-0 win with an almost entirely healthy team and this time around Seattle won't be nearly so healthy, Alonso may still be out, Evans may be out and Leo Gonzalez is almost certainly out, which may leave Seattle with a real crisis on the back line. On the other hand, that 0-0 tie in Dallas happened with both Martins and Dempsey out of the line up and this time both of them will be in the series barring a freak injury. What's more, Dallas has gotten better since those results and I'd argue they're the most complete team in MLS, able to implement just about any tactic with a fair bit of fluidity; their typical counter-attacking style won't work against Seattle, but maybe possession and swift attacks will. With the Sounders banged up, I'm going to give the edge to Dallas. Winner: FC Dallas

If it was a road game I'd give the edge to Dallas. At home though I don't see Seattle letting this one get away with a shot at taking out a cascadia cup member on the way to the title game.

But could be the homer in me.

I'm actually rooting for Portland in this one because I REALLY want to see Seattle and Portland face off for a trip to the Cup!

HGleGRL5_400x400.jpeg
cad84200a2429782b35f95dcbd4b1390.420x410x1.jpg

If it was a road game I'd give the edge to Dallas. At home though I don't see Seattle letting this one get away with a shot at taking out a cascadia cup member on the way to the title game.

But could be the homer in me.

Well, it is a home and away series, and Seattle is really banged up on the back line in particular. We'll see who's healthy tomorrow and go from there.

Big playoff day! Holy crap, so much soccer!

12pm (all times Pacific) - DC United vs New York Red Bulls
- RBNY has definitely been the most consistent club all season and they look especially strong in the last couple months. DC have an incredibly high talent ceiling but they will have tired legs. One thing to note is that Boswell is suspended.

2pm - Portland Timbers vs Vancouver Whitecaps
- Wow, Portland have looked scary the last month or so. If Adi keeps playing like he has I think Portland will go in to Leg 2 with the advantage. Vancouver are always a team to watch and have been impressive especially considering they have the youngest team in the league due to players stepping in fill the roles of injured veterans.

4pm - Montreal Impact vs Columbus Crew
- Montreal is another club that has been scary lately, mostly since the Drogba signing. But they have other threats in Piatti and Bernier. Columbus are always a question mark, IMHO. If they show up to play this should be a very exciting match.

6:30pm - Seattle Sounders vs FC Dallas
- Seattle are always contenders and if Ozzy is healthy they will come out strong. If they bring the pace they did in the knockout round then the Dallas backline will have their hands full. The Hoops have slipped slightly at the end of the season but are still filled with tons of talent and can also play a fast-paced game.

Predictions:
DCU v RBNY: 2-3
PTFC v WCFC: 3-1
IMFC v CCSC: 2-2
SSFC v FCD: 1-1

https://streamable.com/8eq2

Drogba should be suspended for the next match. Him only getting one yellow for this incredibly dangerous tackle was bad, then to add insult to potential injury that shenanigans holding.

It's unlikely he'll get a suspension. For one thing, the Disciplinary council of MLS usually is unlikely to add a suspension to a carded offense. For another thing, believe it or not...technically it's not a red card offense. It's true! Look at the FIFA rules and you'll find nothing related to it, it's not violent conduct. Technically speaking, a yellow card is the right call.

So, one game gone, how are my prognostications holding up?

New York Red Bulls vs DC United: Not bad at all, New York starts the series with a 1-0 win. Sure, DC United only needs 1 goal to tie up the away goals, but it's unlikely the Red Bulls will drop points at home. A bigger concern might be Perinelle's injury though, long term that could hurt the New York Red Bulls.

Vancouver Whitecaps vs Portland Timbers: A 0-0 tie is not ideal for Vancouver, they have the worst home record of all of the teams in the playoffs. That said, I'd still Vancouver has a good shot to win this.

Columbus Crew vs Montreal Impact: A 2-1 win for the Impact is pretty good, but Columbus could still steal this. A 1-0 win at home is all Columbus needs to punch their ticket.

FC Dallas vs Seattle Sounders: Same scenario as Montreal and Columbus, a 1-0 win by Dallas could seal it.

Oof what an exciting game.....Dempsey just when I think he's not in the game he goes and does something amazing.

Oof what an exciting game.....Dempsey just when I think he's not in the game he goes and does something amazing.

He tends to do that (for USMNT more so). He'll do nothing for the longest time and then explode in a moment of brilliance.

Dempsey really does his best work when people sort of forget about him, then he'll show up in the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) place at the right time and make you go "Wow".

Dempsey really does his best work when people sort of forget about him, then he'll show up in the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) place at the right time and make you go "Wow".

Its only wrong for the other team, long as he keeps putting the ball in the net im ok with it. :ban:

Wow... Jason Kreis and his assistants Miles Joseph and CJ Brown have been sacked by NYCFC. Looks like we have an early runner for a new turnstile club!

Wow... Jason Kreis and his assistants Miles Joseph and CJ Brown have been sacked by NYCFC. Looks like we have an early runner for a new turnstile club!

Tell me if you've heard this one before: A foreign-backed club comes in believing they will dominate the league, fails to make the massive impact they thought, then decides its all the coach's fault, why yes, that's Chivas USA. So everyone please welcome Man City USA! I can't wait until they get sued for only hiring English people and people with English ancestry.

Back