Return to MLT on HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliams108

Reaction score
I'm almost done with my smoker build and getting ready to start the brewstand and was thinking of using a copper spray ring at the top of MLT for a return from the HEX coil in the HLT. Is there any reason not to do this instead of just a section of copper tubing routed down into the MLT?

Doing something like that makes me worry about hot side aeration.. but plenty of breweries are set up like that so it may just be fine.
It's really alot of extra stuff though, how about just laying some thermoplastic or silicone tubing down on top of the mash bed? It works great for me, super simple.

I'd be worried about little grain bits clogging up the holes.

+1 Be sure to make the holes large enough if you do it that way to avoid having them plug up with particulates. Also, if the holes are large, the ring would need to be kept very level in order to get even an distribution. Make the height of the ring adjustable so that you can position it at the surface of the grain bed/liquid to avoid air exposure as much as possible.

I'd be worried about little grain bits clogging up the holes.
for sure. go with a silicone hose or Locline (which a lot of people seem to like). some info in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/sparge-arm-loc-line-148747/
basically, a manifold with holes is okay for sparge arm (i.e., use it only for sparging with clean water), but you want to use something different for recirculation during the mash that has less risk of clogging

Back