What happen to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the beginning of an infection - say 'pellicle' with me.

100_0218.jpg

100_0219.jpg

Welcome to HBT, Gerch.

Yep, looks like an infection - very sad. You can try to rack from underneath that stuff and see what you get - leave plenty behind, don't suck up anything off the top.

best case - you'll be able to save some of it
worst case - valuable lesson learned - ANYTHING in contact with the beer needs to be cleaned and well sanitized.

good luck on the save, get busy trying again.

Lactobacillus maybe?

You may need to tighten up your hygiene regimen. Starsan and Idophor are your best friends.

The good news is, it's harmless. But it won't improve flavor, that's for sure.

I've had tolerable results skimming with paper towels. I am not certain but I suspect that slow-starting fermentation opens the door for this. The beer underneath should be OK but try not to get that stuff into your bottling bucket.

Probably an acetobacter or lacto infection. Both are going to make your beer sour. If it is acetobacter and you get it bottled or kegged quickly, it shouldn't progress, as acetobacter is an aerobic respirator.

I would taste it. If it tastes good, rack from under the scum and see how it works out.

Thank you for the quick response... I have bottled the beer and am hoping for the best. I will post the results in a couple weeks. If it is bad how will it taste, is there a specific flavor this type of infection will have?

Back