Dry Hopped American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDengler

Reaction score
I just want to throw this out there. I have a recipe I am following (sort of) and I wanted to add the aroma of dry hops to it. Here is the recipe - let me know what you think...

6.5lB Pale Malt Extract
1lb 10L crystal

1oz centennial (60 M)
1oz Cascasde (15 M)
1oz Cascade (0M)
Safale -05

Dry Hop
1oz Centennial 3 days before bottling.

anyone think this will be too much hops for the amount of sugar? Should I just dry hop the last addition instead of at 0 minutes. And keep it at 3 total oz.

I don't have any software for brewing to plug it into.

thanks

What 944play said about software and more time on the dry hops. :)

If I'm going to dry-hop, I avoid flameout additions. In fact, I've been having considerable success with First Wort Hopping and dry-hopping, with no additions between. I get plenty of nice flavor and aroma that way.

In your particular circumstance, I'd dry hop the flameout Cascades as well as the Centennial. Get you a wonderful bouquet that way!

Bob

In your particular circumstance, I'd dry hop the flameout Cascades as well as the Centennial. Get you a wonderful bouquet that way!

+1 to that

The bitterness should run about 36IBU if the AAs for your hops are about average. Not too hoppy - a good balance.

Your color will be a little light for the style, maybe use 40L Crystal instead? It will still be a nice yellow/gold.

That is great advice.

So you would say Centennial at 60min - and save 1 oz of Centennial, and 2 oz of cascade for DH? That puts it at like 38 IBU.

@Carbon111 I already have the Crystal purchased and crushed, so I'll just settle for a more pale color.

Remember, dry-hopping does not contribute any bitterness, only aroma, because the hops aren't boiled. Boiling is necessary to isomerize the alpha acids to the point they add to IBUs.

I already have the Crystal purchased and crushed, so I'll just settle for a more pale color.

S'cool. Still sounds like a good brew, regardless. :mug:

ye i just got done with it this afternoon. I added the Centennial at 60 min. and Cascades at 15min. I'll plan to DH another once of each in a few days. And DH for 5 days before bottling. I'm stoked! I love DH'd beers. Hazed and Infused by Boulder Beer is one of my all time favorites.

Back